Is my Washy dead?

otorongo

Is my Washy dead?

Post by otorongo »

Planted as a small plant last year, it got defoliated last winter and is still not showing any signs of life. Should it have started growing new fronds by now?

All my other palms survived and are actively growing, including the Brahea edulis.
Tom2006

Re: Is my Washy dead?

Post by Tom2006 »

Its still early days. If you don't see any growth by July...ish then maybe its gone.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

Thanks, but I dug it up and binned it before seeing your post.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

otorongo wrote:Thanks, but I dug it up and binned it before seeing your post.
:lol: you don't mess around!! How quickly did you want a reply?
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

Mine defoliated last winter and put out floppy new growth in July. I chucked it as it is not a long term plant up here. I would go easy on watering but not let it dry out either.
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

I have a Brahea edulis, which looks similar to washies and is leaf-hardy. I probably shouldn't have bought the washy as the garden has enough palms and there is no room for more (eventually) large ones.
Adam r

Post by Adam r »

I planted a small one last year in and protected it with one of those tomato grow houses with the door open at the back close to the fence so there was some air circulation to prevent condensation and mold and even though we had the worst winter for years with the beast from the east, it has made it through the winter pretty much unscathed. It lost a couple of outer leaves and had a little bit of damage in the crown but it is now growing strong. The soil around it has been dry all winter which must have helped. They must be quite hardy if you can keep them dry.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

That was a good system of protection to use where you are, Adam. It clearly worked.
Adam r

Post by Adam r »

GREVILLE wrote:That was a good system of protection to use where you are, Adam. It clearly worked.
I know of 2 other Washingtonias in Sunderland near the coast that have never been protected by anything other than their location. I drove past a couple of months ago to see if it got through the last winter ok and it looked alright but I would need to check again to make sure it has started growing again. I always get mote snow about 3 miles from the coast than they do near the coast.
Adam r

Is my Washy dead?

Post by Adam r »

Just checked on a couple of washingtonias beside Sunderland docks in someones garden and they are doing well even after the beast from the east. They havent got any damage at all. There is a phoenix around the corner from them in a more exposed location that has more damage but still alive and well. Maybe we can grow palm trees in the north east after all.