Flowering Phoenix canariensis_CIDP in Sunderland

Adam r

Post by Adam r »

Thought I’d lost my Phoenix canariensis_CIDP after the last winter (The Beast from the East). It looked fine when I uncovered it in the beginning of April then a few weeks later I noticed the newest leaves were dying and it spear pulled. The crown was all rotting inside and it stunk. I tried to remove all of the dead that I could and hope for the best. I was gutted as I’ve been looking after it every winter for the past 6 years. Dont know if the cold got to it or if it was the very wet spring after I uncovered it. I noticed a few weeks ago that it was pushing the dead out and now there is healthy leaves starting to grow then I noticed a flower coming through and it is starting to open :D
Sparrow

Post by Sparrow »

This dry heat seems to have done the trick. Similar experience for me with spear pull (but I've not yet invested six years time as you have). I correlated it with the cold snap at the beginning of March, but you could well be right about the wet spring being more of a factor. I noticed last week a few new leaves pushing through on mine.

Glad to hear yours has bounced back, too! Look forward to seeing pics of it in flower.
Adam r

Post by Adam r »

Glad to hear yours is recovering too Sparrow. Ill try to upload some pics.
Adam r

Post by Adam r »

Im unable to upload pics at the minute as there is a problem with uploading pictures on tbe forum but I will upload them as soon as I am able to.
My Phoenix canariensis_CIDP has took a right battering this year. Firstly it apear pulled and even the bigger leaves where the rot was got damaged and became weak then we had strong winds which snapped some of the bigger leaves but they are still hanging on and alive so I will leave them as they are still feeding the plant even though they dont look very good. It looks the worst it has ever lokked but its still alive for now. Hopefully next winter is a mild one.