Brahea armata advice

Mr Stavros

Brahea armata advice

Post by Mr Stavros »

Good morning.

I'm wondering if anyone can give me some advice on my Brahea armata. I've had it for approximately 4 years now and although it has grown a bit I'm concerned it's not doing well. I only get around 1-2 new fronds per year but lose approximately the same too. I have it in this pot planted in john innes no3 with lots of grit ( it drains really well). Its feed slowly with slow realise palm fertiliser from Hardy Palms. Its watered only when dry with some palm booster in.

Is this just how they are or is something up? I was thinking maybe the pot is too big for it or it's in the wrong soil mix. Any help would be appreciated

Many thanks

Steve
Attachments
20200513_110415.jpg
GREVILLEAJ

Brahea armata advice

Post by GREVILLEAJ »

As these palms originate in the desert canyons of Northern Mexico they have searching roots that wouldn't normally like being confined in a container. That said, some members have had success growing this way. Others found similar difficulties and got better results transferring them to the ground. Although the large containr shouldvaĺlodý
If you could transplant it somewhere suitable avoiding unnecessary root disturbance you should see an improvement by the end of the growing season
Mr Stavros

Brahea armata advice

Post by Mr Stavros »

Thank you. I do have plans to build a deepish raised bed so I can fill with the best possible soil mix for it. I'm tempted to bury the pot with it and hope the roots can grow via the bottom drain holes. I dont think I'd get it out without any root disturbance or damage