Trachycarpus latisectus?

Nathan

Re: Trachycarpus latisectus?

Post by Nathan »

And here's a close up of my latisectus stem. It just looks completely different from fortunei... Also the leaves are very much thinner than fortunei, thinner even than my Washies leaves, I'd say as thin as say a Livistona rotundifolia's...
Attachments
29012009590.jpg
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Nathan, how old is that fortunei?

I also have a ghoul tree :lol:
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

The fortunei is only about 2/3 years old...
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Oh thats turns the table a bit.. but despite Mo's love for satire it must be said he might be interested in comparing this one with the one I put up before. They were the same size seedling, same age when they were planted... They are both approaching 5 years old.

now compare this one with that one above. Huge differences in growth. Probably all fairly normal but the photo above has certainly taken off. That was taken last summer.

I do plan on planting that in the ground this year by the way (I always get people saying I shouldnt really restrict it in the pot)
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

The thing is Stephen when you first plant a palm out it can take a couple of years to "take off" as they are enjoying having the freedom to spread their roots, before they decide to put their energy into growing more leaves etc...
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

I have a couple of "different" Trachies, a manipur, a takil and a patkai....

This thread just prompted me to go and have a look at them in the greenhouse. :ahhh!: Of course the labels are all blank so I don't know which is which but I've pulled the spear on one of them (and bunged it on the compost heap) and the one of the others has really badly damaged leaves. The other looks fine.

I'll take a pic tomorrow and hopefully someone can i.d. the other two for me.......
Robin Cassell

Post by Robin Cassell »

ive had a manipur inground for 2 1/2 years now and it is actually smaller than when planted icon_scratch It semms to want to grow along the ground and each winter the little spear pulls and sends an even smaller one out!!my martianus died first winter as did my orophilus..so in that respect the manipur is a real trier :DD
Attachments
DSCF3798.JPG
trachy1973

Post by trachy1973 »

Stephen, Has the palm that you think is a Latisectus got a fibrous trunk? If it has then it is very unlikely to be Latisectus because they have smooth trunks.

It could be a Trachycarpus Takil? This also has a fibrous trunk but can drop the leaves and loose the fibre when older to leave a smooth trunk.

Cheers

Keith
John P

Post by John P »

I have just posted a thread on the EPS forum http://www.palmsociety.org.uk/ about my survivers from the severe cold spell at the start of the new year. The latisectus took a hit, looks less lush than it did before Xmas but it is still alive. It took -9C with some sacking over it. I have no overhead cannopy which may have helped. It seems to get hardier each year but I could do with a mild winter to really get it going.

A princeps was mentioned as well. Mine has a little bit of damage but I think is okay. It seems hardier than latisectus.

My maniper took a hit.

All pictures were taken in the last few days.

John
JohnNOTTS

Post by JohnNOTTS »

John, how does your latisectus cope with wind?
The leaves of mine are very thin and delicate and get badly trashed every winter(tatisectus :wink: ). It almost had to make a fresh start each spring.
Last year I planted it in a much more sheltered site close to some Dicksonia antarctica's (odd combination I know but it may work later on when the tatty grows) and the new leaves as they emerge are completely circular and it is now beginning to look quite cute, is this a usual trait? I know some TF's occasionally do the same thing.
Also, do you know if the petioles remain so short compared to other Trachies?

Cheers John.
John P

Post by John P »

John its in a windy spot at the front of my house. The leaves are quite thick and leathery so they stay looking good. That is if they are not frosted. Last winter I cut all the leaves off in Spring as they look like my first few pictures on here. I think another haircut is due. Every year it starts off from scratch. In 2008 it put out 5 new leaves and looked good before Christmas. I do not know if the petioles remain so short compared to other Trachycarpus's as the biggest one I have seen is mine. There are only a few pictures about so difficult to judge.

John
SteveP

Post by SteveP »

John and John,

Heres a shot of my Latisectus taken yesterday, the camera actually makes it look better than it is. The plant has been grown from a two leaf seedling about six years ago. It is still in a pot and whilst in a coldish part of the garden it was tucked under a good evergreen canopy of Rhododendron. I will be planting it this spring in the best spot I can find and as it is such a fine plant when larger I will go to the effort of providing protection in very cold weather.

Cheers
Steve

PS I am refraining from posting pictures of my planted Martianus at the moment because I think the damage is still coming through.
Attachments
Latisectus.JPG
JohnNOTTS

Post by JohnNOTTS »

Hi Steve,

I would say mine looks rather more like yours than it does John's, and it's not just a size thing.
Yours also seems to have circular leaves and they do look seem to be thinner and more fragile than John's, although perhaps the petioles of yours have become a little stretched in deeper shade.
Maybe the leaves will toughen up as the palm ages and adapts more to it's surroundings?
I gave mine a bit of a closer inspection this afternoon and I must say it is definitely losing some of it's lushness even after missing out on the very low temps of other parts of the country. I hope that the yellowing of the fronds is just a temporary reaction to the lower temperatures and, if things don't get too much worse, they won't become toasted.

Cheers John.
John P

Post by John P »

Here is my other latisectus looking a bit pale and hit badly by the cold spell. In my Sunday Telegraph today on the weather page it says that the coldest place in the UK in January was Chesham, Buckinghamshire, which is 6 miles from my home. On the night of the 6th and 7th the temperature minimum was -11.9C, so I had a lucky escape at -9C. The picture was taken a week ago but the palm has deteriated further since then.

John

Robin Cassell

Post by Robin Cassell »

Even that one looks in better shape than mine John...p.s...would love to pop into youre garden next time im up at Ashridge college near Berko if thats o.k.I want advice on getting them Trachycarpus trunks clean :D