Trachycarpus seeds germination

Edo

Trachycarpus seeds germination

Post by Edo »

Hey everybody,
I dont know should i call it a problem, but those seeds that ive got some almost two months ago still are not germinating.
Actually the are in bag for about month and half as well as in the glass jar.
Some Phoenix dates, which have been planted considerable time after those are already germinating.
I dont know should i start to worry about it, or is it normal process?

Anybody help. Any advices?
Mark

Re: Trachycarpus seeds germination

Post by Mark »

Edo, Are you using bottom heat? Mine sprouted pretty quick in the airing cupboard in a bag with moist compost.
Edo

Post by Edo »

They are in moist compost too, they was on refrigerator until three days, now they are on my table.
So, basically there was pretty enough heating, i guess.
Robin Cassell

Post by Robin Cassell »

Hi Edo....They are very easy to germinate just about anywhere..Ive never bothered with the bag thing ,I just shove them in compost outside and let them do there own thing...hundreds..literally came up that way...I think they like natural rain and sun on them but Im no expert icon_sunny
Robin Cassell

Post by Robin Cassell »

Hi again Edo...If you want some seedlings sending let me know..I dont know if thats allowed or not but Ill give it a go..Ive still got loads with no homes yet :DD
Edo

Post by Edo »

Hey Robin,
Thank you very much, i´d rather appreciate it.:)
Thank you for that advice, im just waiting these three days, to turn into spring, then ill put some of mine outside directly in to the ground.

Thanks guys.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Edo, did you put the seed in the fridge for a few weeks? They need stratification, which normally occurs on the trees here, but depending on where the seed came from, they may need a winter before they will germinate. Also they are not necessarily fast sprouting seed and can take 6 months. Date palms are quick compared to most. A steady 30C for trachycarpus will probably delay germination as is tropical heat which they do not need or particularly like. As Robin said a UK garden will germinate them quite readily, although they need evenly moist shade here.

I get more self sown seedlings come up in the late summer/autumn, when the shadows lengthen and is wetter. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by grub »

Edo I know Dave Ison used to sell 100 pre-germinated seeds for about £7 and his site has lots of germination tips icon_thumright http://www.davespalmpages.co.uk/
Edo

Post by Edo »

I didnt put them in fridge, i didnt knew that i should do so.

Date is fast one? Wow, i was thinking that its vice verse, that date is particulary slow germinator, cos its coming from arid deserts etc, but that Trachycarpus is faster because its from really high altitudes from Himalaya, where they have a lots of moisture too.

So what i can do to speed up this process for a qwhile?
for example to put them in colder place, such is in my garden or so?

Anyway thank you all.
Mick C

Post by Mick C »

grub wrote:Edo I know Dave Ison used to sell 100 pre-germinated seeds for about £7 and his site has lots of germination tips icon_thumright http://www.davespalmpages.co.uk/
I bought one one these lots of 100 last year Grub, there must have been over 150 in the bag. Seemed like a good idea at the time....
Robin Cassell

Post by Robin Cassell »

Hi Edo..Heres the seedlings on the way to you..hope they make it..good strong roots on them..simply grown outside for 1 year in standard compost and frozen solid a few times :D
Attachments
DSCF3915.JPG
Edo

Post by Edo »

Hey Robin dude, thank you mate!!!

If you dont mind, ill send you some of my Dates, ok?

Thank you,
Edo
Robin Cassell

Post by Robin Cassell »

Nice one Edo... :D Thanks! Ill pm you an address icon_sunny