Phoenix theophrasti the survivor (and Phoenix discussion)

medjool

Re: Phoenix theophrasti the survivor (and Phoenix discussion)

Post by medjool »

HELLO DAVE
JUST ANOTHER VIEW WITH REGARDS YOUR PHOENIX, TO ME LOOKS LIKE A RECLINATA,THIS DOES HAVE NASTY THORNS,AND DOES CLUSTER FROM UP THE TRUNK,ON TWO I HAVE SEEN.ONE OTHER POSSIBLE IS DACTYLIFERA MEDJOOL,WHICH ALSO CLUSTERS AND HAS A GREENER BUSHY LOOK THAN THE CRETAN DATE PALM.
ONLY MY VIEW GOOD LUCK AND PROTECT IN WINTER A VERY NICE TREE!
pete G

Re: Phoenix theophrasti the survivor (and Phoenix discussion)

Post by pete G »

I have a smaller theophrasti than yours Dave, I protected it last year, but I wont bother this year, its too spiney.
I grow lots of spiney plants but this one is just not really worth the effort, I dont think. :(
cordyman

Re: Phoenix theophrasti the survivor

Post by cordyman »

Dave Brown wrote:Stephen, I think you are getting this out of context :lol: 10,000 years ago the UK was a tundra joined to mainland Europe, and had virtually no plants. Today we say we have a wealth of 'native plant'. Many millions of years ago most of Britain was tropical with swamps hippos, crocodiles etc.

The conditions for Phoneix carnariensis have not been favourable for it on mainland Sahara Africa for many, many thousands of years, IPS (International Palm Society) journal HERE goes through the history. It it likely it's ancestors originated in Tropical Mediteranean areas, and moved south as the climate cooled and dried. Yes it would have been around the Western Sahara a few million years ago, but Phoenix canariensis_Phoenix canariensis_CIDP has evolved into a palm that it is today due to the unique conditions on the Canary Islands and is the most adaptable of any, according to the journal taking heat, cold, dry, and flood conditions.

I have visited The Canaries many times, and one visit really stands out. I went to the Island of Gomera about 20 miles west of Tenerife in 1994. It was like stepping back in time. They had cars although not many, but the way of life continued as it would have done before tourism. The higher mountains are covered with tree heathers with CIPD intermingled. Phoenix canariensis_Phoenix canariensis_CIDP are everywhere..... on mountains, in valleys, on cliff faces etc. This is certainly not planted as a decorative tree.

This is typical Gomera, terraced farms with Phoenix canariensis_Phoenix canariensis_CIDP dotted all over the place, included the bits they can't farm.
1994Ten068.jpg
Looking down into one of the valleys with Phoenix canariensis_Phoenix canariensis_CIDP scattered down the terraced hillside
1994Ten070.jpg

BUMP just to say that first photo is amazing! what a great place to live. The second photo reminds me of the inca stronghold of machu picchu icon_thumleft