Trachycarpus princeps in habitat.

john and tacha

Post by john and tacha »

MarkD wrote:There are some T.princeps seedlings on sale at ebay at the moment.The seller has emphasized that he's selling the real thing and not 'green princeps (Nova)'.

I understand that it takes awhile for the blue colouration to develop so will have to wait and see if it is indeed the real thing :?

Koba Koba did sell their only remaining 3 year old seedling on ebay just before they closed, and I narrowly missed out on it, and it sold for butter all :evil:

hi

I think that you can see rapidly if it is real.
They grow relatively fast and not less... you will see the colour very soon.

gr
john and tacha
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

John, the real Stonegate ones are not showing the colour as fast as those Golden Lotus ones. I dont think they will have the silver blue leaf, I think they will have the green face and white contrast back like the pictures from Stonegate.
They are much paler green in colour as seedlings.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Nigel wrote:John, the real Stonegate ones are not showing the colour as fast as those Golden Lotus ones. I dont think they will have the silver blue leaf, I think they will have the green face and white contrast back like the pictures from Stonegate.
They are much paler green in colour as seedlings.

Nigel,
Do you have a picture or pictures of young cultivated Trachycarpus princeps from that Stonegate area for comparisson? Or even better several Stonegate seedlings to compaire them with those from Ruud. You always get some genetic variation within a group of seedlings, even if they are from one tree.

Regards,

Alexander
john and tacha

Post by john and tacha »

Nigel,
We only have experience with the Princeps from the Golden Lotus.I have understood for several times that the princeps is cultivated in more then one area, not only in the Stonegate, I would like to get my hands on some Princeps's more downstream.
The problem is that we have never been there and we always have to depent on the collectors.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Alexander wrote: Do you have a picture or pictures of young cultivated Trachycarpus princeps from that Stonegate area for comparisson? Or even better several Stonegate seedlings to compaire them with those from Ruud. You always get some genetic variation within a group of seedlings, even if they are from one tree.

Regards,

Alexander
Hi Alexander, Trachycarpus princeps from stonegate to right, Trachycarpus sp. Golden Lotus to left.
John P

Post by John P »

Nigel

I have a stonegate Trachycarpus from you, several nova grown from RPS seed and the 2 imported Golden Lotus princeps. The first 2 would appear to be the same thing with different names. From previous natterings with you the Golden Lotus (the one that looks like a princeps should) comes from a different area in China and is something else.

John :D

[/img]
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Hi Nigel,

They look indeed qieut differend! Are both sawn the same year?

Regards,

Alexander
Nigel wrote:
Alexander wrote: Do you have a picture or pictures of young cultivated Trachycarpus princeps from that Stonegate area for comparisson? Or even better several Stonegate seedlings to compaire them with those from Ruud. You always get some genetic variation within a group of seedlings, even if they are from one tree.

Regards,

Alexander
Hi Alexander, Trachycarpus princeps from stonegate to right, Trachycarpus sp. Golden Lotus to left.