Washingtonia robusta - Winter 2008/9 Recovery Complete

SteveW

Re: Washingtonia Recovery Complete - Palms

Post by SteveW »

This is how it looks right now
DSCN3051.JPG
DSCN3050.JPG
I don't know whether its a robusta,filifera or filibusta as it was grown from a packet of seeds a friend sent over from spain when we first moved in.So around 7 years ago,maybe 8 icon_scratch
derrick

Post by derrick »

It didnt stay out the winter time But there is a washington on my road smaler thats recoverd it is very close to the house If i dig my washington up winter time and bring inside will it shock the palm to much The roots could be a problem.
sam140

Post by sam140 »

Dave, cheshire is a bit different from the south coast. Derrick I'd leave you washies out this winter. Try and give them plently of fertiliser to grow them on as much as possible. The more established they are the hardier they will be.

I have found that Washies are alot hardier that people think and recover quickly in spring.
AndrewBird

Post by AndrewBird »

Looks much better now Dave Brown icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

My personal view is that most people try to rush this palm. As I said it is marginal here even when larger, so my plan was to grow it on in pots and tubs until too large to accommodate, then plant it out to take its chances. Small ones don't have a good survival rate even in less severe winters. :roll:

Derrick, I think Barrie ( Las Palmas Norte) on Vancouver Island, protects a Washingtonia using a plywood box constructed around it. Barrie, if you read this can you comment further :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Edo »

Dave, my truly admiration!
Please, could you take precise measurement how tall it is?

Dave, if you continue this way, you´ll be noted in the books, and maybe some sub-species will ahve name such is "Washingtonia Browniana".

Any chance to get some seeds from you?

Best,
Edo
derrick

Post by derrick »

I have alot of pallets stacked in my garage coverd in polly and stuffed with pipe lagging from work also pollystyrene 4 inch thick .I wanted to create some sort of box for some of my plants for the winter I work for a insulation company so can get all types of insulation .The only thing is the amount light and air flow to the plants.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

An update on how it is doing now we are passed high summer, although it did reach 28.1C here on the 8th Sept icon_thumright

Basically it has grown 16 leaves this season, and we will get another maybe 2 or 3 before the winter stops it's growth. It had a lot of damage this spring which was more than in spring 2008, but less damage than was suffered in the almost frost free, but stormy winter of 2006/7 when it was almost defoliated by the gales.

7th Sept 2009 with 16x 2009 leaves
070909 Washingtonia.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Re: Washingtonia robusta - Winter 2008/9 Recovery Complete

Post by bev »

looking very healthy dave, lets hope you can keep most of them on for next year! icon_thumleft

cheers

lee
Danny Thomas

Post by Danny Thomas »

Good to see the recovery. Well done.
ElTel

Post by ElTel »

That looks really lovely Dave :)
Si