Chatham Island Nikau 'Oceana'

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Chatham Island Nikau

Post by Dave Brown »

Mark wrote:A bit off track Dave.......Did the police catch them or even turn up ?
Just realised, I did not reply to this. Local community officer came round for a chat, took details and knew who they were. Yes they caught them, parents have been warned that next stage is ASBO proceedings. :roll: Been quiet since then. (4 months).

After some discussion over on EPS, I decided to move the Nikau into the sun as it it bigger now, and happily can say the summer solstice sun has not damaged it, and we had wall to wall sun on 22nd June. The growth rate is quicker in the sun, but I have to pay particular attention to watering. It is currently nestled up under a Eucalyptus spinning Gum, which may give some overhead winter protection. Not planted out yet, as so far behind gardening this spring due to continual bad weekend weather. :roll: Still dithering about where its final planting place will be, as the Blue Gum will have to be felled this summer due to growing 35feet in 6 years from seed. This will alter the protection afforded to the Nikau.

Here is a pic of the Nikau on 20th June. Just thought virtually all the plants in the front garden are antipidean :lol:
200608 Nikau.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Dave Brown
Site Admin

She Lives- yay (Nikau Recovery)

Post by Dave Brown »

The harsh winter claimed many victims, but the biggest loss to me was my 17 year old Nikau Oceana. I looked to replace it but cannot find any for sale other than on the New Zealand version of ebay, but only NZ residents can use this :roll:

Here it was back in July 2008.
010708 Nikau.jpg
I thought it was dead but today I noticed new green on an emerging leaf icon_thumright
130609 Nikau lives yay.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Re: She Lives- yay

Post by themes »

fantastic news Dave. Overwintering this has got to be a big prioroty now. I wish I get some second chances this summer, Unlikely but I can dream
Edo

Post by Edo »

Fantastic news, Dave! I didnt knew that they are that hardy at all.
How did you protected them?
It is good that you didnt loose your patient about that palm, and just dig it out, like people most do.

Rewarding and promising icon_thumleft
Nick

Post by Nick »

Dave that is one grand looking palm you have there, fingers crossed it will make a full recovery if the next few winters are kind to us all,

icon_sunny icon_sunny
Jo A P

Post by Jo A P »

Just goes to show that patience really is a virtue!
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Thanks for the replies icon_thumright I think you have to give palms a whole year before you dispence with them. Of course the higher the value and rarer the palm, the longer you give them. It is not planted out but in a big glazed concrete planter and weighs a ton :roll: which was why it got left exposed last winter. Having thought I had lost it, and been given a reprieve, it will be overwintering in the conservatory this winter :wink:

This is an ideal palm for over wintering in a conservatory or almost frost free greenhouse. It doesn't like high temperatures so is better off outside from May to November. As a slow grower it will stay small enough for many years. They dislike too much sun when young although I have heard of people accustoming to it over a period. Your main problem if you want one of these, is getting hold of it. Although they sell them by the bucket load in New Zealand, importers seem to ignore them, which is a great shame. :roll: I have seen 50 seedlings advertised in NZ for $20NZ. They must be like my trachycarpus here, self sow everywhere. :wink:

I share the opinion of the Maori that this is the closest thing to a Coconut leaf you can get, in fact 'Nikau' is Maori for Coconut leaf :wink:
Attachments
061207 Chatham Island Nikau leaf.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Nick »

Dave it looks very much like a coconut leaf, pic 2 looks just like my Washingtonia at the moment, still no sign of any leaf growth yet, still waiting tho..

icon_sunny icon_sunny
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

That is brilliant news and a great relief Dave. Great to see a revival when it's just a heartbeat away from...... Bet you couldn't believe your eyes.

I've just tried to germinate some of these but the emerging shoots look a bit fluffy. I think they have had it. Will definitely try again though.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
simon

Post by simon »

Hi Dave, glad to see there are signs of life. I guess it will take a lot of TLC to get it back to former glory. How many years do you think until it looks like the first pic again?

By the way, a subtlety with your Maori translation is that the word relates to the coconut leaf in polynesian languages where they actually have coconut palms and undoubtedly the first polynesian settlers would have refered to it as Nikau due to its resemblance but in Maori it is simply the common name for that palm :wink: .
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

simon wrote:Hi Dave, glad to see there are signs of life. I guess it will take a lot of TLC to get it back to former glory. How many years do you think until it looks like the first pic again?
The leaf in thre pic started to open the leaflets today. Mind you really humid same as NZ. It is a slow grower at the best of times with about 1 full size leaf per year.... but with lots of TLC and moving it to the conservatory for winter which will probably keep it growing I might get 2 leaves. It rarely has more than 3 leaves any way. Hopefully this time next year will see it at least most of the way back to what it was :wink:
simon wrote: By the way, a subtlety with your Maori translation is that the word relates to the coconut leaf in polynesian languages where they actually have coconut palms and undoubtedly the first polynesian settlers would have refered to it as Nikau due to its resemblance but in Maori it is simply the common name for that palm :wink: .
Ok, I'll take your word for it. I have not studied Polynesian or Maori :lol: Just read it somewhere.

Someone replied to my YouTube vid asking how the Coconut survived after the snow :lol: Vid Here
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by AndrewBird »

how long before it look nice again please :?: :?: :?: :?:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Update......

The cut leaf is starting to open and the new spear has grown and is also starting to open..... Finger crossed icon_thumright
Attachments
250609 Nikau .jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

looks like you got one tough cookienut there dave. pardon the pun
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Devonian Jungle

Post by Devonian Jungle »

Congratulations! icon_cheers
Mine survived after being frozen to the ground and has now put out half a leaf :)
There's a new one on the way too. Quite impressive for such a tender palm :D
Last edited by Devonian Jungle on Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.