Trachycarpus fortunei Seed Harvesting

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Trachycarpus fortunei Seed Harvesting

Post by Dave Brown »

I've been looking at the seed branches on my Trudy Trachycarpus for some time, and always had other things to do that were more urgent. Yesterday I bit the bullet and decided to cut them down before they fall all over the place and germinate.

The ladder is getting a bit short now, as the palm is growing about 1 foot per year, so I can only reach the seed branches by standing on the top rung of the ladder which I have done in the past but is a bit precarious as fully 10 feet off the ground. This time I used telescopic tree loppers to allow me to stay a bit lower down the ladder, The branches are up to 4 feet long and weigh about 20 lbs. The problem with some is the seed have formed around the leaf petioles below so are not easy to lift away.

The main problem in positioning the ladder was the smaller plams around the base, one of the oldest self sown seedlings is about 10 years old and over 6 feet tall. You have to carefully part the leaves and insert the ladder to avoid insightly damage. Then have to climb up through the palm to get to the mother trunk. All in all it took about 1.5 hours to remove all the ripe seed which if previous years are to go by are numbers 30,000+ but cutting down is far easier than picking them all up off the ground individually. Some pic showing the progress below :wink:

Trudi Trachycarpus Seed May 2009
290509 Trudi Trachy Seed.jpg
Ladder in place 2nd August 2009
020809 Trachy seed 03.jpg
Up the ladder with telescopic loppers
020809 Trachy seed 02.jpg
A seed branch
020809 Trachy seed 04.jpg
The harvest
020807 Trachy Seed 05.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Re: Trudy Trachycarpus Seed Harvest

Post by jezza »

One can only assume you have some seeds to give away :lol: 8)
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

trudi produces fine offspring,well behaved and house trained to boot.
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Nick

Post by Nick »

Track seed for everyone then, well done Trudy your a good girl Track, when will mine if pollinated go black like that Dave, mine are still gray/green looking :oops: I hope Trudy don't mind you looking up her trunk like that Dave :oops:

icon_sunny icon_sunny
John P

Post by John P »

Dave what are you going to do with them all. A couple of years back I ended up with about 20 bunches of seed that looked like the ones in your picture. Most went in the recycling bin. If only they were princeps that retail at about a £ for each seed.

John
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

next bunch i get given im going to scatter at otterfalls in devon.
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure