Trachycarpus nova turning different colour? Princeps?

banton

Trachycarpus nova turning different colour? Princeps?

Post by banton »

hello guy's,
just noticed the other day that a new spear thats comming through has got whitish silvery colour underside of the leaf, at first glance i thought it may have been white meldew powder due to the wet weather we have been having in leicester, has any one got the same thing happening with their Trachycarpus/novas? here are some pictures
Attachments
my garden 001.jpg
my garden 002.jpg
my garden 003.jpg
my garden 004.jpg
Nick

Re: Trachycarpus/nova turning different colour?

Post by Nick »

Could it be a Trachycarpus Precepts you've got there, my trackys on there new spears have this coating but it's not mildew or anything like that, just something that it produces as it grows,Yours looks more like my precept, if that's the right name and spelling, if not
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

icon_sunny icon_sunny
Robin Cassell

Post by Robin Cassell »

Very nice looking palm..slender...loads of my trachies do that..it comes off on youre fingers if you rub it...perfectly normal.
Robin Cassell

Post by Robin Cassell »

Nick wrote:Could it be a Trachycarpus Precepts you've got there, my trackys on there new spears have this coating but it's not mildew or anything like that, just something that it produces as it grows,Yours looks more like my precept, if that's the right name and spelling, if not

icon_sunny icon_sunny
I think that might be princeps Nick......they almost have white undersides but Ive yet to see a mature one in the u.k...I did look at some loveley specimens in Jhon Ps garden in Tring about 4 weeks ago.... :mrgreen:
Nick

Post by Nick »

Yes I have a baby Princep growing at the moment, will be interesting to see what it is like when older, they are meant to be fast growing tho,

icon_sunny icon_sunny
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

Robin Cassell wrote:
Nick wrote:Could it be a Trachycarpus Precepts you've got there, my trackys on there new spears have this coating but it's not mildew or anything like that, just something that it produces as it grows,Yours looks more like my precept, if that's the right name and spelling, if not

icon_sunny icon_sunny
I think that might be princeps Nick......they almost have white undersides but Ive yet to see a mature one in the u.k...I did look at some loveley specimens in Jhon Ps garden in Tring about 4 weeks ago.... :mrgreen:
is that because they are relatively new here or not so tough robin?
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Mick C

Post by Mick C »

Nick wrote:Yes I have a baby Princep growing at the moment, will be interesting to see what it is like when older, they are meant to be fast growing tho,

icon_sunny icon_sunny
I have a few princeps seedling Nick which I got from Dave Ison last year. I think he said that they develop their silvery undersides after about their 4th or 5th leaf, if I remember correctly.

Edit - I don't think that they are as cold tolerant as the hardier trachies Darren

mypalmshop
Last edited by Mick C on Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ElTel

Post by ElTel »

icon_sunny icon_sunny
looks like it from the descriptions on line - well done thats quite a rare find!
bodster

Post by bodster »

I hate to ruin this but thats not a princeps. It looks more like a nova to me. Princeps has very blue leaves even on small plants. I got one off nigel before he went to brazil. its a lovely palm. They're not common at all. I've not seen a large specimin yet.
themes

Post by themes »

Some trachys have a tendency to do this when new leaves emerge. I have seen that colouring on new fortunei leaves on some of my palms, but not all. I agree with Martin here, I would say its a nova. You were right in one respect Banton... originally lots of Nova were confused with princeps. People buying princeps growing them and realising they were were nova. Sometimes you look on the net at sellers and they will say "the real princeps". It is a lovely palm, what makes it distinct to me is its floppy habbit of the leaves, slender trunk and elongated petioles. A unique palm in its own right. I dont think its been botanically classified yet, going under the pseudonym Nova, hope they keep it but it may change yet.
John P

Post by John P »

I agree with Bodster. 2 of my princeps are about 11 or 12 years old and they have very stiff leaves with short petiols. They were collected in the wild and despite their age they are still small. It was a palm 10 years ago that was never expected to come in to cultivation so I doubt very much whether there are many or any big ones about. I have a number of Trachycarpus's that in a certain light have the white/silver colouration under the leaf although not as pronounced as princeps.

John

Edit

There have been posts on other forums that the novas are developing the white colouration with age. I have 2 planted out but they are still green. As Mo says the seed was originally sold as princeps and is still also called green princeps. The palms are supposed to come from the stonegate area which has caused the confusion.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

can you remind what the so called takils were that werent john?vic gave me some,i meant to re-label them but forgot.cheers
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
John P

Post by John P »

Hi Darren

They are called Naini-tal. Have a look at the following link. http://www.gardenpalms.com/EN/articles/ ... 20tal.aspx

John

PS I like your avatar.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Hi I have some Trachycarpus Fortunei that have a white/silver sheen to there undersides of there leafs, if you wish to view my photo's in the thread lets have some cheery garden photo's your see my garden, but if you do please look out for photo's numbered 2905 and 2989 or I can re post these two photo's again when I get home later today icon_cheers icon_cheers

icon_sunny icon_sunny
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

I thought I would bring this topic back to the top again as the pic below was bought as Trachycarpus principes. This one's about 4/5 years old silvery white on the back of the leaves and a silvery grey/blue front. The only thing I am not sure about and that is the petioles. These are very short and the top leaves lie flat against the previous leaves. Is anyone elses growing in such a squat way, and is this normal. I've not seen another one in the flesh so have nothing to compare it with.
DSCN1404.JPG

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.