Washingtonia's Protection Discussion

cordyman

Washingtonia's Protection Discussion

Post by cordyman »

Morning all :)

After losing my washingtonia last year, I would like to have success with my x2 front garden specimens this year.

How soon should I protect them? its getting quite fresh at night now and lots of damp in the morning.

Is it a case of bubble wrap around the base and leave the fronds to cut off next spring?

Any picture examples of anyones technique? icon_cheers
derrick

Re: Washingtonia's any pics of wrapping technique? and how soon?

Post by derrick »

Im not sure on mine yet to dig it up or insulate a little . Theres a lot about my way that have survived last winter and there not big but most are close to the house. Ive insulated a box with a carbo roof some plants will go in this.Some in conserv .Greenhouse is just to much glass as i have a baby.
Attachments
S4010803.JPG
S4010813.JPG
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

our big one which got trashed last winter is having a clear plastic /acrylic sheet nailed over the top to prevent water assisting any rotting that might develop.other than that i wont do anything as i believe these to need good air circulation as with many other palm species
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I'm going to add the Washingtonia topics to the Palms area of the Exotics reference and Discussion forum. There have been quite a few topics on this. and wrapping will most likely kill your palm. They like much drier conditions that we can give them here, so you need as much air movement though the crown as possible :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by derrick »

My little washington will take its chances the most a fleece .It was only five pound .Are see how some of your big washys do this winter .I only have room for 2 large palms .And trachys just seem so common now.
themes

Post by themes »

washy.jpg
wrapping can often do more harm then good if you don't do it properly
palmhugger

Post by palmhugger »

cordyman wrote:Morning all :)

After losing my washingtonia last year, I would like to have success with my x2 front garden specimens this year.

How soon should I protect them? its getting quite fresh at night now and lots of damp in the morning.

Is it a case of bubble wrap around the base and leave the fronds to cut off next spring?

Any picture examples of anyones technique? icon_cheers
I have a couple of Robusta outside and I have found wrapping them will do more damage than good, you need to build a rain shelter over them to keep them dry, with fleece round the side on a frame not touching the palm, do not wrap around palm as this will be a death sentence as air flow is crucial.

Regards David Mould (Palmhugger)
marie06

Post by marie06 »

Do you reckon my robusta will be OK in the greenhouse? I've always brought it in the house over winter previously.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

marie06 wrote:Do you reckon my robusta will be OK in the greenhouse? I've always brought it in the house over winter previously.
Temperature wise they would be fine, but you would need very good ventilation or you may get rot setting in. A rain shelter seems to be the best option as it keeps rain and snow out, but allows air flow :wink: Mine is big enough to take care of itself now, it has to, but I did get damage where snow and ice formed in the crown :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Melissa »

If it's planted out don't dig it up it won't like the root disturbance but they are much better off planted out.

We protect ours with a rain shelter, as others have said keeps the wet out of the crown, allows air flow and on really cold nights you can allways put a blanket over the whole thing or add some extra fleece.

Ours have a plastic top and as they are on a bank the front is also plastic to protect aganist the prevailing wind. The sides are fleece, and the back is open. You can roll up this sides on warm days.

I can't find a pic of one over a palm but this is the same kind of thing over some cacti.
DSC01322.JPG
IMG_0306.JPG
IMG_0306.JPG (137.64 KiB) Viewed 4116 times
These go on November, December, come off March, April, but depends very much on the weather.

Hope this helps, this is what works for us.

Melissa
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Not hi-jacking the topic here but...... Melissa, If you get chance could you do a post based on that for the Arid forum, as you are answering a question loads of people have about arid beds. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by themes »

the cacti look cute warm and cosy melissa. I would not mind living in there myself
Dale

Post by Dale »

If I put one of them in my front garden I dread to think what I might find sleeping in there after Fri night chucking out time!

Seriously If you look at Di's thread 'late season photos' she has also given her solution for protecting Palms overwinter with a temporary structure using polycarbonate sheeting.
sam140

Post by sam140 »

Hi Cordyman. If you wrapped it, that's properly why you lost it.
With good siting washie f will sail through, a big plant makes all the difference..
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Hey guys I didn't wrap last year and lost it :(

They are the robusta variety. I really don't want to dig them out as they are under weed control compound and covered in stones.

Anyone think they are big enough to make it through the winter themselves?

(the two pheonix palms have lasted two winters in pots now with no protection!)