Trachcarpus maritanus

sam140

Trachcarpus maritanus

Post by sam140 »

Hi Folks,

What are you're experiences of this palm please 8)
themes

Re: Trachie Maritanus

Post by themes »

slightly more tender then fortunei.
Chalk Brow

Post by Chalk Brow »

I've been growing this since 2002/2003. It was planted out as a small plant, I'm not absolutely sure but I think the leaves were just beginning to divide at the time.

It has never had any protection or special attention at any time, simply because in my ignorance I did not know it might need it! It has never suffered any damage with the exception of the late snow fall earlier this year; the snow that settled on the older leaves caused them to turn brown, the younger leaves that were still held upright suffered no damage, although the next leaf to emerge did have a small line of brown across it.

My garden is on the East Sussex coast, within a mile of the sea, it is over solid chalk, at least 150 ft of it, and the soil depth varies from around 12 to 18 inches.

Here is the palm today, the leaf measures nearly 3 ft across and make almost a complete circle, it divides into 66 segments.

(I bought this palm mail order from a nursery in the West Country, and should add that the I had since lost the label, it has been identified by fellow UKEG members as T. martianus)
Attachments
e Trachycarpus martianus 0845.jpg
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

I was just about to post that Grenville has a stunning specimen, but he has beat me to it!
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Someone I know has grown it, it seems to tally with what Grenville says, that particular specimen has gone through without much damage. Worth trying but I've heard people say they've lost it?
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

grenvilles plant inspired me to buy one at akamba.id love a garden full of these,princeps and waggies of mature sizes.
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
simon

Post by simon »

Is that leaf shape typical of martianus, i.e. the density of leaf blades?
Chalk Brow

Post by Chalk Brow »

My books tell me up to 75 segments a leaf, with the leaf measuring between three to four feet across, almost circular when young, semi-spherical when older ~ but I'm willing to be told that my palm is not T. martianus! I'm certain it is a Trachycarpus though, I have this recollection that it was described as have blueish undersides the the leaves when mature, I remember this because at the time the only other hardy 'blueish' palms I knew were Chamaerops humilis cerifera and Brahea armata. (But can one rely on one's memory?)
Robin Cassell

Post by Robin Cassell »

my young one died in its first year out... :( ...but here is a pic of one at Abbotsbury down on the south coast,obviously a few years old..pic from the E.P.S. forum. icon_thumleft
Attachments
aaa martianus.jpg
themes

Post by themes »

Chalk Brow wrote:I've been growing this since 2002/2003. It was planted out as a small plant, I'm not absolutely sure but I think the leaves were just beginning to divide at the time.

It has never had any protection or special attention at any time, simply because in my ignorance I did not know it might need it! It has never suffered any damage with the exception of the late snow fall earlier this year; the snow that settled on the older leaves caused them to turn brown, the younger leaves that were still held upright suffered no damage, although the next leaf to emerge did have a small line of brown across it.

My garden is on the East Sussex coast, within a mile of the sea, it is over solid chalk, at least 150 ft of it, and the soil depth varies from around 12 to 18 inches.

Here is the palm today, the leaf measures nearly 3 ft across and make almost a complete circle, it divides into 66 segments.

(I bought this palm mail order from a nursery in the West Country, and should add that the I had since lost the label, it has been identified by fellow UKEG members as T. martianus)
wow grenville icon_thumright you dark horse. Wow!
trachy1973

Post by trachy1973 »

That's a lovely looking palm you have there Grenville. Does it grow quick, how many fronds has it put up this year do you know? icon_thumleft

Keith
Chalk Brow

Post by Chalk Brow »

trachy1973 wrote:That's a lovely looking palm you have there Grenville. Does it grow quick, how many fronds has it put up this year do you know? icon_thumleft

Keith
It's has put out three full fronds so far this year, and another is just about to open. Three to four fronds per year is about what it's managed so far. It stands 4ft 6in to the tip of its tallest leaf, it has a trunk of about 12 inches with a diameter at the base of about 5 inches, it's taken about seven years to reach this size.
trachy1973

Post by trachy1973 »

Not quite as fast as a Fortunei or Waggie then but still nice to have one of that variety nevertheless as this one is rarly encountered at the moment. I have a small one in a pot that has put up about three or four small divided leaves this year. I have a bit more time to go yet before I risk planting that one out though.

Very nice indeed :)
sam140

Post by sam140 »

great abbotsbury specimen.