Dypsis decaryi and Wodyetia bifurcata help

carolpz

Dypsis decaryi and Wodyetia bifurcata help

Post by carolpz »

I have a few seedlings of these and don't want to lose them due to ignorance. They have done quite well over summer but the Dypsis leaf edges keep going brown. Should I be misting? The problem isn't lack of water as they are always slightly damp. I have them in a basic compost with clay pellets. What is the minimum heat in which they will be happy? Any help gratefully received as I'm a complete palm idiot. icon_rabbit
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Dypsis decaryi and Wodyetia bifurcata help

Post by Dave Brown »

Both of these are tropical palms although the Dypsis has some cold tolerance. Misting may stop the brown edges. I don't know what others experience of these are, but my Dypsis snuffed it in the conservatory at 6C. :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by themes »

Really impressed with the speed of growth of Dyp Dec. I got a one leaf seedling in May and here it is now..and I have been neglecting to water it much.
IMAGE_081.jpg
Chalk Brow

Post by Chalk Brow »

themes wrote:Really impressed with the speed of growth of Dyp Dec. I got a one leaf seedling in May and here it is now..and I have been neglecting to water it much.[
I have to agree with you Mo. I have a seedling just a little bigger than yours which until now has lived in the greenhouse (minimum winter temperature 4C). But I've just moved it indoors to join its big brother the hopes it will follow its example. Its big brother is about 4ft-5ft tall and growing strongly. What impresses me about this palm is how trouble free it is, even red spider mite seems not to like it!
themes

Post by themes »

Chalk Brow wrote:
themes wrote:Really impressed with the speed of growth of Dyp Dec. I got a one leaf seedling in May and here it is now..and I have been neglecting to water it much.[
I have to agree with you Mo. I have a seedling just a little bigger than yours which until now has lived in the greenhouse (minimum winter temperature 4C). But I've just moved it indoors to join its big brother the hopes it will follow its example. Its big brother is about 4ft-5ft tall and growing strongly. What impresses me about this palm is how trouble free it is, even red spider mite seems not to like it!
I can not see the pics Grenville? It must be my browser as you would never post something like that and leave us in suspence. icon_scratch
Chalk Brow

Post by Chalk Brow »

themes wrote:
I can not see the pics Grenville? It must be my browser as you would never post something like that and leave us in suspence. icon_scratch

Have patience Mo ~ all things come to he who waits!
Chalk Brow

Post by Chalk Brow »

Dypsis decaryi. Measures 4ft 6in (138 cm) excluding the pot.

It's fast becoming my favourite indoor palm. (But the seedling's too tatty to show!)
Attachments
a Dypsis decaryi 0974.jpg
bobbyd44

Post by bobbyd44 »

yes a nice looking palm. has it taken long to get to that size??
themes

Post by themes »

Its fantastic Grenville. Do you take it outside in summer or is permanently indoors?
Chalk Brow

Post by Chalk Brow »

I've had the palm for four years (September 2005 from the Palm Centre), it was about 18 ins or more tall. It's responded well to being re-potted earlier this year and put out two or maybe three new leaves.
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Carol I've a couple of Wodyetia bifurcata seedlings going at the moment, third year from just germinated seeds. I find these to be slow growing for me with just one leaf per year, and seem to struggle to do that. I let mine dry out slightly (but not too dry) between watering and keep them permanently in a conservatory all year (heated in Winter), so am not sure what minimum temps these can take. Mine also have a bit of browning on the leaves but put this down to the dry atmosphere in the conservatory.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
carolpz

Post by carolpz »

Thanks Di I was beginning to wonder if anyone else had tried the Wodyetia. They came from Benny at David Ison's site. They are both excellent growers and will send germinated palms of all kinds for a very reasonable price.
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

I've looked at this site lots of times and they do have some interesting seedlings there, but have never got round to ordering from them. I must remedy that next Spring as there are a couple of palms I would like to try. What's your growth been like on your Wodyetia, is it slow like mine.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
themes

Post by themes »

This is good growth since the last pic..I have watered it only twice since the last pic too..hard to pamper things when you have loads of seedlings its going good guns
IMAGE_176.jpg
bev

Post by bev »

i take it that's an ice cream freezer under neath?
if so i'll have a strawberry mivvy and a cornetto please :D

lee