Trachycarpus takil

Mick C

Re: Trachycarpus takil

Post by Mick C »

Apologies Dave, I see what you mean now :roll:
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

If he had a trunked takil 4 and 1/2 years ago then its highly unlikely to be a takil.
Mick C

Post by Mick C »

Any idea of what it might be then Ade?
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

I cant see any pics but even if I did then its hard to ID a takil, any takils over 5- 6 years old in this country arent takils apparently.
I have one bought from the Palm Farm (the real one up north) as takil in 2002, only a small palm about 2 foot high and for a few years it was bigger all round, bigger leaves, faster growth, stronger Trachycarpus but now it stands around 10 to 12 feet tall and has taken on the look of a regular fortunei, it is a bit different but more of fortunei variation than anything else.
IDing some of the Trachycarpus is a mine field and Im waiting for the talked about book from Martin Gibbons to be published and hopefully shed more light on the subject.
Mick C

Post by Mick C »

Shame you can't see the pics - the petioles are extremely thick especially at the bases; the two lowest petiole bases seem to wrap around the entire girth of the trunk and are very light in colour which shows them up really well.

Having googled images of takils, some photos seem to (sort of) show this feature and others don't. I still want one, only now it seems I don't know what it is that I want.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Iti s back to the old thing of do you believe what you are told. There are so many variations of Trachycarpus fortunei, some will fit most other species.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright