Phoenix canariensis_CIDP spear pull out

Adam

Phoenix canariensis_CIDP spear pull out

Post by Adam »

hi im Adam am new and not good with computers so hope this works
i have a Phoenix canariensis_CIDP in a pot that over this winter has spent time drifting from my unheated plastic greenhouse with lows of -5 and the conservatory with lows of about 3+. i was shocked when yesterday i realsied that the new leaves/spears well a dull colour and when gently tugged they pulled right out, they showed signs of rotting hence them ripping out.is this the end of my palm or can they come back from this
thanks
Nick

Re: Phoenix canariensis_CIDP spear pull out

Post by Nick »

Adam welcome to the forum, you've taken the time and trouble to look after your Phoenix canariensis_CIDP but it's still sucome to the cold, there is a very slight chance it might put out a new spear, you need some peroxide to poor into the hole where the spear come from to get rid of all the rotting decaying flesh, no doubt others will echo this, but what size is your Phoenix canariensis_CIDP?, anyway welcome to the forum, how long have you been into tropicals :?: and do you have any photo's of your garden :?: what else are you growing.

icon_sunny icon_sunny
delboy12

Post by delboy12 »

hi adam welcome,went away last weekend to (bredbury hall ) stockport saw lots of Phoenix canariensis_CIDP stubs many were 10 year old palms shows how cold its been this winter so far,all the best derek
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

im not wasting no more money on cidps,they cant hack it here no more
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
grub

Post by grub »

redsquirrel wrote:im not wasting no more money on cidps,they cant hack it here no more
I concur :lol:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

You wimps :lol:

Hi Adam, and welcome. icon_salut

Phoenix canariensis_CIDP has never been UK Hardy apart from the mildest coastal areas. We all got sucked in by the string of mild winters backed up by 'run away warming'. Now we are back to a couple of colder winters, they are failing where they always would if people had ever planted them out in the '70s and '80s.

My experience is, and this differs from the accepted norm, that Phoenix canariensis_CIDP are more likely killed by molly coddling than temperature.... HERE anyway. True, a Phoenix canariensis_CIDP will not handle -10C and will stuggle in -8C, but -5C with planty of air movement through the crown should not be a problem (Size dependant) providing the temps don't stay below freezing for days on end. The problem is people wrap them for winter. I have done that myself, and lost them every single time. Now they take their chances and in -6C haven't died.

In answer to your question Adam, at only -5C the chances are it will resprout in the summer. You problem may have been condensation drip into the crown and then feezing. This moisture will never evaporate in the greenhouse in winter, where as it will outside eventually. Like Washingtinia this palm likes a breeze all year round. Cold, damp, stagnent air is it's worst enemy. :roll:

I have rigged up a 16" fan in my poly, and that is running all the time the doors are shut. Note only Phoenix canariensis_CIDP in there are the Southsea Phoenix canariensis_CIDP seedlings.

Phoenix canariensis_CIDP in north facing front garden taken today 6th Feb. Completely unprotected, not even pulled the leaves up this year. Coldest here was -5.6C
20100206 CIDP 01.jpg
Spears look fine atm
20100206 CIDP 02.jpg
Microclimate may play a part as partially under a Monetuma Pine
20100206 CIDP 03.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

i chucked best part of 40 young uns out this morning that id been growing from seed.should have known better and taken them to work with the other stuff i have there. still,on the bright side,a nice big space for my new yucca seeds to come on when they arrive icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
Nick

Post by Nick »

:lol: :lol: :lol: your so lucky Darren to be able to move them to your work :lol: :lol:

icon_sunny icon_sunny
mixiepalms

Post by mixiepalms »

i have 2 largish ones, last year i was left with a stub, it outgrew itself, now looking like im left with a stub again, am tempted to dig it out and chuck it. they are lovely but id rather have a butia anyday. darren the squirrel aka palm daddy sold me a lovely wolly butia last yr, not touched, looking great, so might try and get a nice size capitata this yr, fingers crossed.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

i think thats the way to go mixie.my butia seedlings in the tunnel look fine at present,might deteriorate but werent rotten and mouldy like the cidps.same with all my filibustas now too,history,finished,kaputen largen.(on a side note,some filiferas are fine icon_scratch icon_scratch )
as for the wooly,there is something about that plant mate, think you got a winner there icon_thumleft
Adam

Post by Adam »

Dave your post was godly because it didnt occur to me that all the condensation in the plastic greenhouse was affecting the plants because believe me there was lots of it and it just so hapened that i had a small pot of four washingtonia robusta seedlings in there aswell and the two smaller ones spears pulled out today coincidence :x ,, i think not!! i shant be putting anyother palms in there next but winter but on the plus the condensation really did some good for the cyathea australis of mine :D
sam140

Post by sam140 »

If in a pot leave it up against a sheltered house wall, no need for anything esle.
Rich

Post by Rich »

sam140 wrote:If in a pot leave it up against a sheltered house wall, no need for anything esle.
I did that with one of the two Phoenix canariensis_CIDP's which I bought last year. So far it looks like it has survived. I planted the other in the ground. Unfortunately, it seems to have fallen a victim to to the recent cold weather. :(

The idea of keeping plants in a pot doesn't really appeal to me in general, especially palms. I'd much rather see them in the ground. With that in mind, I am going to give up with the Phoenix canariensis_CIDP given that I've now lost 3.

Later on in the Spring, I think I will pull up my Phoenix canariensis_CIDP from the ground, and replace it with a nice Chamaerops Humilis (aka Mediterranean fan palm) which I bought last year. It's a hardy palm afaik and it looks the part too. Only downside is that they don't seem to grow that tall compared to the legendary Phoenix canariensis_CIDP.

Hopefully in a few years, mine will look like this:

Rich
jacko

Post by jacko »

This is the shape of mine at the moment.Another in a pot which does'nt look so good and another in one of my greenhouse which is fine.I've had lots of -10C and a -13C in jan.If it dies I'll put an artificial plastic palm here instead lol.
Attachments
DSCF3854.JPG
Nick

Post by Nick »

Jacko, your Phoenix canariensis_CIDP is lucky to be alive, and your lucky it's just the outside fronds that have been got at by the cold/ice of the winter :?:

icon_sunny icon_sunny