Washingtonia filifera (finally)

Las Palmas Norte

Washingtonia filifera (finally)

Post by Las Palmas Norte »

I have on numerous occasions aquired what I was lead to believe was Washingtonia filifera only to discover later it was at best a hybrid (filibusta).

I had my hopes high for this one from Kiril in Bulgaria (via Banana Joe here).
All the traits are now showing that this is a true W. filifera.
Currently it's in a 5 gallon pot and stands at eye level. The growth rate this season has doubled it's overall proportions. It gets a good shot of warm water every day from the garden hose.

Any other real filifera you folks are growing?

Cheers, Barrie.
Attachments
W.filifera 007b.jpg
W.filifera 008b.jpg
W.filifera 009b.jpg
W.filifera 010b.jpg
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Washingtonia filifera (finally)

Post by Dave Brown »

Hi Barrie, I don't have one, but yours certainly looks a beauty. icon_thumright

They are supposed to be more hardy, but are not as damp tolerant as W robusta How will you overwinter :?: Just a rain shelter or in a greenhouse etc.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by kata »

I got seed brought back for Washingtonian Filfrera this week from Tenerife off my son..

Hope I do better than with the Phoenix canariensis_CIDP seed.

icon_colors icon_colors icon_colors
Las Palmas Norte

Dave Brown wrote:Hi Barrie, I don't have one, but yours certainly looks a beauty. icon_thumright

They are supposed to be more hardy, but are not as damp tolerant as W robusta How will you overwinter :?: Just a rain shelter or in a greenhouse etc.
A question I've asked myself a few times :lol:
Well for now, it's still a managable size but eventually it will get planted and probably treated much as you do your robusta. I'm hoping the excellent drainage I have (well, not me personally:lol:) will assist with wintering.
I not holding out any great hope for this one, but it'll be nice while it lasts.

kata ... good luck with your seeds. Let us kow how these progress.

Cheers, Barrie.
kata

Post by kata »

Hi Barrie

It won't be this year they will get sown.

icon_cheers :)
outatime1978

Post by outatime1978 »

I have just found this seller on ebay selling hybrid washy/filifera seedlings,I may get me self some!!!
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT
Last edited by Dave Brown on Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed to standard case. Please turn caps lock off before posting, thanks
kata

Post by kata »

Bought 1 seed,

Now look what you made me do outatime. Spent £6.00, also paid for some Malaysian Lily, sposed to be massive.

Its getting quite expensive comeing to Hardy Tropicals :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

icon_cheers :lol:
outatime1978

Post by outatime1978 »

:dd if anyone is wanting a bargain washy which are quite big for the price they are clearance ones!!. This is a regular seller I buy from on ebay a chap named chris,had a Trachycarpus,and cordy oh and and couple of champys in the past,so I am still contemplating getting one myself!!£25.99 plus postage!.http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT :lol:
Last edited by Dave Brown on Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed to standard case. Please turn caps lock off before posting, thanks
Rabbie

Post by Rabbie »

kata wrote:Hi Barrie

It won't be this year they will get sown.

icon_cheers :)
Sown it now and keep it on a sunny window sill over winter, it will be ready to race away next summer.
kata

Post by kata »

Hmm,

I could try that. Maybe have more luck with this than the CIDPs I have tried.

Just in case I ordered these (6) per order.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... AQ:GB:1123

Thanks Rabbie!
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

As this topic is about Barrie finally getting a real Washingtonia filifera, not a robusta or fillibusta, which sadly is all too often the case. Can we limit discussion to W. filifera on this topic, thanks
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Exotic Life »

Hi,

That is looking very nice! I have been doing experiments with Washingtonia's for a few years now (Since 2004-2005), most in seedlings stage and do observate them. Some people say you cannot see the difference between a filifera or Robusta/filibusta in a young age, but if you ask me it should be possible trough the colors.

I don't think filifera would make it here in our climate during the wet winters. The combination freezing temperatures and our humidity should be enough to give much damage or let them die. I'm growing 3 little palms, from filifera, robusta and filibusta and they have been in the greenhouse last winter for a few months but on the ground so temperatures there has been a couple degrees above freezing during the nights but very humid, even then the filifera show some problems. Another thing from those three, when the temperatures where rising the robusta and filibusta where growing again and the filifera came much later, also now there is a good height difference between them.

I don't use heaters for my Washingtonia robusta outside so it see frost every winter, those 3 little ones what i'm growing are for another experiment but I guess that the filifera would be die first of those three when they are going into the ground and get the same protection. If it would survive, it needs loads of heat will it start regrow again. So i also think if I plant a bigger filifera over here it needs to long to get nice again if it get some winterdamage, compared to the robusta and filibusta, but we will see.

Keep us updated how yours gonna survive! :)
Las Palmas Norte

Plenty of people have gone before you (myself included) with these Washingtonia but because this thrives at this point I'll trudge on.
I have a preference to W.filifera as it's a more stout palm compared to W. robusta. I'll update as this progresses.

Cheers, Barrie.