Trachycarpus takil are really nani tal

sam140

Trachycarpus takil are really nani tal

Post by sam140 »

Hailing from a town called Naini Tal,Khumoan, northern India, at altitudes of 2400m.This palm discovered in 1994 was thought to be Trachycarpus takil and wrongly named as such. All so called takils in cultivation are now understood to be Naini Tals.
In appearance and genetically, it is similar to T. fortunei but taller, more vigorous and larger in all its parts. Also, its fibres are thinner and shed readily, leaving a naturally bare trunk.
Everybody who grows this palm knows it is hardier and superior to regular Trachycarpus fortunei.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: Trachycarpus takil are really nani tal

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

I got a small "Takil" from Jungle Plants last year it hasn't grown a great deal as of yet. Whatever it is I bought it so that it would grow big and get a bare trunk. Fingers crossed it does!
sam140

Post by sam140 »

I have a few and growth speeds up dramatically if growth in well rotted garden compost. I replanted one last year and the difference in growth rate is staggering :shock:
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Sam my takil has put out two new leaves this year and is one foot tall.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Sam where did you get info that ALL T. takil are nani tal :?:

I ask this as it is a pretty sweeping statement, and genuine takil are reported to be out there producing seed. I bought one this year, and have been led to believe that the recent ones are not nani tal :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Las Palmas Norte

Post by Las Palmas Norte »

I tend to agree Dave. A decade ago, even less, this was the case. Over the last several or 5 years true takil has emerged. Still rare around these parts though.

Cheers, Barrie.
grub

Post by grub »

sam140 wrote:Hailing from a town called Naini Tal,Khumoan, northern India, at altitudes of 2400m.This palm discovered in 1994 was thought to be Trachycarpus takil and wrongly named as such. All so called takils in cultivation are now understood to be Naini Tals.
In appearance and genetically, it is similar to T. fortunei but taller, more vigorous and larger in all its parts. Also, its fibres are thinner and shed readily, leaving a naturally bare trunk.
Everybody who grows this palm knows it is hardier and superior to regular Trachycarpus fortunei.
Interesting statement Sam, leaves me wondering what my Naini Tal really were thogh as they are all dead while my Takils are still alive icon_scratch .
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

im quite surprised at small nanus too,even tiny tiddlers have come through this year
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
simon

Post by simon »

It doesn't take more than 30 seconds to see that the post was lifted word for word off the internet.

http://gardenpalms.com/EN%5Carticles/Fa ... 20tal.aspx

Sam, it is normally etiquette to quote a source when using other peoples material, not least because it gives others the false impression that you are actually knowledgable on the subject.
Last edited by simon on Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grub

Post by grub »

Odd thing here Darren was I lost a Takaghi whereas a Manipur pulled and has made a comeback, a Takil the same size as those two was completely unscathed.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

i had a job lot of manipers,21 in total,lost all bar 4 in the 08/09 winter and these 4 came through again last last winter.that in itself suggest that you cant rely on a certain plant regarding hardiness,individuality plays a large part too.same with darjeelings,3 or 4 got badly burnt,others were fine. my only takaghii was unmarked as were the nainitals,surprisingly the novas were untouched too.geminisectus and latisectus were basket cases and martianus minor damage.waggies fine as were all bar some first leaf fortunei seedlings are ok including my waggie crosses.princeps looked to have come through with minor damage but one is showing signs of no roots anymore.think ive covered them all now,no comparison to my somewhat tender chamaerops collection,most of which pulled or got damaged in some way
forgot oreophilus too,that went west
Simba

Post by Simba »

I have a small "Nainital" and it does seem to be a pretty vigourous grower, too late for this year, but I will be planting it out next.

But out of curiosity, what would likely fare better in the UK, Martianus or Princeps..?
grub

Post by grub »

I didn't even bother to mention the Nova, there was absolutely no doubt as to whether or not that would come back the damage was so obvious :lol:
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

Simba wrote:I have a small "Nainital" and it does seem to be a pretty vigourous grower, too late for this year, but I will be planting it out next.

But out of curiosity, what would likely fare better in the UK, Martianus or Princeps..?
id put money on a princeps,the 2 i left out look better than the 2 i brought in even with minor leaf damage.i brought a bigger martianus into the garage during the worst of it but that didnt stop a couple of new spears getting frozen off.its a shame princeps are so expensive else id try and grow a lot more of them.far and away the best looker of them all
sam140

Post by sam140 »

Are even the small takil specimens on sale expensive?