Palms, rain water, and cold weather, good or bad?

sanatic1234

Palms, rain water, and cold weather, good or bad?

Post by sanatic1234 »

I still have all my potted palms outside some seedlings some bigger, These are Trachycarpus.fort, Washingtonia robusta's, Phoenix canariensis_CIDP's, a Chamaerop. Humilis(spelling), sabal palmetto, and a nannorrop Kashmir. The rain has been constant for 2 days now only stopping for short times, and the weather hasn't got no higher than 14c. I may be paranoid but i am thinking about root rot when i come to bring some in for the winter. Will they be OK or am i just being a tad paranoid. I do know that some palms are quite hardy but its the continued rain that is concerning when there isn't the heat no more to dry out the soil.
khaskings

Re: Palms, rain water, and cold weather, good or bad?

Post by khaskings »

We share your concerns about the current weather as it was a similar approach weather wise into winter last year combined with the extended cold period (and a helping of ignorance on our part) that caused us problems. We will be putting all the stuff in pots that can tolerate cold, but needs a dry root, under rain cover from next weekend AND it will be raised off the ground to prevent capilliary attraction into the pots from rain seepage. Before the cooler weather proper arrives we will have further protected anything that needs it. This should give us (or rather the plants) a better chance of success for 2011.

Mike.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

It is sensible to be prepared for bad weather Mike, but I think you are being a bit over cautious. Things here get moved around when real cold weather arrives not just average October weather :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by khaskings »

I hear what you say Dave, but it just seems to take so long to get it all sorted. And after the last few days rain, I'm back to square one with trying to dry out the pots (we are all pots as the house is rented) and the wet was a massive contributary factor to our losses 09 --> 10. We still have lots of stuff out there including the ensette and the brugs with buds, but the stuff which is wettest and/or has little or no chance of successfully flowering again or putting on growth is being prepared for that part of the year. Actually, you should add that word (w*****r) to the forum profanity filter along with f****.

I suppose the over caution just allows me the time to make sure everything gets done without the panic of an unexpected cold weather forecast. As we get more proficient I'm sure we'll be able to extend our 'display' time, but for now it's better safe than sorry.

Just to make things a little more tricky, I picked up a 7ft Bismarckia recently with a smallest leaf span of 38". Our conservatory will be very cosy this year :roll:
kata

Post by kata »

but I think you are being a bit over cautious.
People are maybe still hurting Dave from last year. You yourself know the price of these treasures..I don't because I refuse to pay hiked up price for anything, garden or otherwise.

Hopefully this winter will be kinder for all of you, what I have is already indoors.I am now fully prepared to hibernate.

:lol: :lol: