Cordyline 'Red Star' rootlets forming.

Las Palmas Norte

Cordyline 'Red Star' rootlets forming.

Post by Las Palmas Norte »

We had some rain off and on for a few days a week or more ago. Shortly afterward I noticed roots forming along the trunk of a Cordyline 'Red Star' well above soil level. I've never seen it here on this, or any others and with the drier warmer weather lately, these new formed roots have all but stopped growing and conceivably could just wither away. Any thoughts as to what or why this has occured?

Cheers, Barrie.
Attachments
Red Star01.jpg
Red Star02.jpg
redsquirrel

Re: Cordyline 'Red Star' rootlets forming.

Post by redsquirrel »

id guess it has felt the rain and decided there is more moisture higher up than the existing rootball??
has it been very dry over there?
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
bev

Post by bev »

i've seen that on mine barrie, they seem to form under the leaf bases. not sure why yours have grown more than usual, darren could have a point. i'm sure it's just natural, allowing for stem cuttings where it can re-root from any point on the stem.

cheers

lee
jezza

Post by jezza »

I have a few on one of my australis, but not that many and not that high up. They have grown downwards and one has gone into the soil. It was very dry here this summer.
eddie

Post by eddie »

I've got those on my green one too. Never knew that they were rootlets, thought the trunk got damaged bij the cat :D
Washingtonia Trachycarpus Cordyline? Bamboos Olive tree? Bananas
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I have had this on my big green one in summer of 2008, the 'year of the wet weekend', Rainfall was higher than normal and the moss on the roof got to couple of inches thick in places. During that period the Cordyline produced roots about 1cm long at various points up the bare trunk up to 5 or 6 feet above the ground. The root ball was certainly not dry, so my thoughts were that is was in response to high humidity. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Adrian »

They are there under each leaf base, they dont always show but they are present, thats why you can chop a lump off, plant it and it grows its own rootball.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

One way i've encouraged roots to form on a cordy trunk was to wrap the stem in sacking and keep it wet for a short while. Roots like crazy.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Thats a good idea if you want to cut a Cordyline back and get the off cuts to grow Arlon,
give it a head start.