A Washy crown with over 18 leaves

Si

A Washy crown with over 18 leaves

Post by Si »

Needs a couple of years to arrive at that, doesn't it? the thing is, don't our winters pretty much burn the fans off, so if it does survive you're starting from scratch again next year, thus never achieving a full crown.
eddie

Re: A Washy crown with over 18 leaves

Post by eddie »

Well, to say never.....

Must be possible to get a big crown on one i think. Last two winters were not very helpfull though
Washingtonia Trachycarpus Cordyline? Bamboos Olive tree? Bananas
Si

Post by Si »

Yeah Eddie,
That's what you need, two mild winters to get anywhere near even a two thirds crown, maybe even 3.
these palms are meant to have the dead leaves left on imho, the petticoat looks awesome and gives it that So Cal look...like this below ;-)
images.jpeg
images.jpeg (12.56 KiB) Viewed 2231 times
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I can only comment on mine but,
2006 grew 15 leaves
2007 grew 18 leaves
2008 grew 20 leaves
2009 grew 17 leaves
2010 grew 16 leaves so far

It does suffer damage each winter, 2008/9 was the worst. I used a clear plastic covered parasol as protection against the snow in 2009/10, and even if I say so myself, it worked well, as far less damage in a colder winter :wink:

By early summer in most years the damaged growth can be removed, and by autumn the palm looks like a slightly larger version of itself the year before :D
Attachments
2007 Washingtonia.jpg
2008 Washingtonia.jpg
2009 Washingtonia.jpg
20100105 Washie in Snow.jpg
2010 Washingtonia.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Darlo Mark »

dave , I'm sure I'm not alone but I love your washy! just wish they would do well up here :? Have you come across anyone with a bigger one (washy!)?
Si

Post by Si »

Maybe Daves parasol is the difference, great idea, as it grows the parasol goes with it through the worst of the winter.
Las Palmas Norte

Post by Las Palmas Norte »

... and I hate to ask Dave as I'm sure it's been covered before, but how low where the temps for this to survive. Rebound temps are critical too.

Cheers, Barrie.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Yes, the parasol stopped radiation freezes and you can see from the pics that the lower leaves were crisped, but the upper ones were fine. I had to remove the parasol in early Feb as gales were forecast. We then had a -4C which crisped all the leaflet tips :roll: so it looked worse in March than it had to that point. The beauty of the parasol is that it is strapped to the trunk so can be placed higher up as the palm grows. The anchor point is the winder, so if you don't have one of those you may have difficulty holding the thing down, as it is constantly buffeted and will loosen any ties.

Barrie, my coldest recorded was -5.6C near a north facing wall, so out in the open was probably -6C to -7C. However the killer period as far as I can see was the fist two weeks of January, with frosty nights and max' close to freezing.
Attachments
2010 Jan daily temp Chalk.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Si »

Hi Dave,
This parasol of yours any pics of it? you say it's clear did you put it together yourself?
this design would be of great benefit to me and others I'm sure, I'd personally like to build something similar and I know what you describe here isn't avaiable in the stores.
any chance you could take us through your unique parasol?

Simon.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Si wrote:Hi Dave,
This parasol of yours any pics of it? you say it's clear did you put it together yourself?
this design would be of great benefit to me and others I'm sure, I'd personally like to build something similar and I know what you describe here isn't avaiable in the stores.
any chance you could take us through your unique parasol?

Simon.
:lol: In Blue Peter style, HERE is one I made earlier

I dismantled it by unscrewing the screws and removing the plastic, allowing use of the parasol with the normal cloth cover over summer. The plastic was folded up and stored in the dark to avoid UV damage. This winter... hopefully, I will just have to reattach to the frame, then the whole thing to the trunk. icon_thumright
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Si »

Thanks for that Dave it's very thorough and most appreciated, by the way, does the canopy have to be clear builders plastic, can't you just leave the original covering on the parasol? I suppose it's to do with (original covering) not being as waterproof as the plastic and also the clear plastic allows more light in at the same time, is this the reason?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Si, I used clear plastic as the parasol has to be lashed to the trunk in numerous places so is not easily installed/removed. This means once it is up it will be up for a while and Washingtonia is very sensitive to light levels. The petioles increase in length by about 50% from July to November. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by cai williams »

I live in north herefordshire and so am wondering if i can grow a washy outdoors, what is the minimum temperature they can take?
fgtbell

Post by fgtbell »

My experience has been that tiddlers don't survive even with protection. So - my suggestion would be buy one with a bit of trunk - if you can find one.
Si

Post by Si »

Even big trunks are no good with the winters we're getting now, I'm throwing the towel in on this game, (certainly the Washys) that frontier just moved further south...in ten months it could be you...Washingtonia totem pole anyone!