Caesalpinia gillesii yellow bird of paradise tree

Forum rules
This section is for discussion on all methods of plant propagation
philip kitts

Caesalpinia gillesii yellow bird of paradise tree

Post by philip kitts »

I had a batch of these 12 germinated but each wilted, the roots seemed fine but the top just wilted I have seen some around in my area they look fantastic I really want to try again any tips.?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Caesalpinia gillesii yellow bird of paradise tree

Post by Dave Brown »

Sounds like a a fungal attack, but I am not knowledgeable on these plants. Perhaps another member has some experience.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by bev »

I grew some last year and never had a problem with the seedlings. They reached about 10" tall, no flowers yet. They were left in an unheated greenhouse over winter and are just starting to show some new leaf buds.
Maybe getting them out of the propagater as soon as they germinate might help.

Cheers

Lee
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Philip kitts wrote:I had a batch of these 12 germinated but each wilted, the roots seemed fine but the top just wilted I have seen some around in my area they look fantastic I really want to try again any tips.?

I have had exactly the same Philip, i had 6 germinated seeds, i took them out the prop when the 2nd set of true leafs emerged then potted up in john innes seedling compost and put in the sunniest and warmest windowsill but they still collapsed :roll:
philip kitts

Post by philip kitts »

sanatic1234 wrote:
Philip kitts wrote:I had a batch of these 12 germinated but each wilted, the roots seemed fine but the top just wilted I have seen some around in my area they look fantastic I really want to try again any tips.?

I have had exactly the same Philip, i had 6 germinated seeds, i took them out the prop when the 2nd set of true leafs emerged then potted up in john innes seedling compost and put in the sunniest and warmest windowsill but they still collapsed :roll:
That's it exactly what happend ,i I think I will try again with a grittier substrate :| thanks for your posts
philip kitts

Post by philip kitts »

bev wrote:I grew some last year and never had a problem with the seedlings. They reached about 10" tall, no flowers yet. They were left in an unheated greenhouse over winter and are just starting to show some new leaf buds.
Maybe getting them out of the propagater as soon as they germinate might help.

Cheers

Lee
Got any spares I love this plant i found it on holiday in the cape verdes