new greenhouse owner

Forum rules
This section is for discussion on all methods of plant propagation
chrismc

new greenhouse owner

Post by chrismc »

Hi All,
Just bought my first greenhouse and keen to get things growing. ATM its clearly too cold to start things off but i wondered if anyone can advise of the best ways of heating a greenhouse (10x6) that doesnt include electricity and would allow me to start canna's off
(propane gas...where can i get a cheap heater ?)
Kristen

Re: new greenhouse owner

Post by Kristen »

I got my Propane heater off eBay. The brand used to be known as "Eden", which may help with eBay searches, and now called "Lifestyle", something like this:

I think Propane far superior to Paraffin (if you were considering that). Propane is cheaper (although you do have to buy the original gas bottle, unless you have a Summer one for Bar-B-Q you can borrow for the Winter), generates less condensation, and runs on a thermostat rather than having to trim & set the wick, and guesstimate what the temperature might be each night.

But do you need to heat it? Canna seeds would be happier germinating in the house - airing cupboard, or windowsill propagator, or even in pots in plastic bags on a windowsill, and they won't need to go out to a greenhouse for a month at least (time to germinate, grow to a size for pricking out and, if you have enough windowsill or conservatory space, to live in 3" / 9cm pots for a while.

An alternative, if you have indoor space - even a utility-type room that is 10C or better, is a growing light.

But I don't want to put you off your shiny new greenhouse! its just that glass is not a very good insulator :( although you can line it with bubblewrap (probably no point for this year, starting now, but something to consider for future Winters)
flounder

Post by flounder »

Ah yes, first greenhouse............you always remember your first one icon_thumright
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

flounder wrote:Ah yes, first greenhouse............you always remember your first one icon_thumright
A bit like girlfriends then. icon_thumright
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

jungle jas wrote:
flounder wrote:Ah yes, first greenhouse............you always remember your first one icon_thumright
A bit like girlfriends then. icon_thumright
Some of those need heating up as well!!!!!!!
Ian Cooke

Post by Ian Cooke »

Propane is an excellent source of heat - similar heaters sold as Shilton heaters. Used them for years when I ran my small nursery. Also get a changeover valve and you can have two cylinders so that you don't have the issue of one running out in the middle of a frosty night.
JoelR

Post by JoelR »

I think you would need some bottom heat for canna seeds. You might be better off starting them in a heated propagator on a windowsill.
chrismc

Post by chrismc »

just wanted to thank everyone for their advise. heater in as above and i forgot about the added bonus of CO2 production which can only aid the growth of the plants (as long as ventilation is OK).
Most of my greenhouse is now empty but i managed to keep a Ensete overwinter, grow cannas to a 1-2 foot by mid may (admittedly musafolia though!). i started dalias off and got a few bulbs going as well....im now growing papilino melons (tomato family - taste like ...yup you guessed it melons)

thanks for the advice
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

I used to grow many plants on a home made propagator which consisted of a steel topped bench with a gas heater underneath it worked a treat.