rooting Monstera deliciosa - 7 weeks and no luck :(

Forum rules
This section is for discussion on all methods of plant propagation
otorongo

rooting Monstera deliciosa - 7 weeks and no luck :(

Post by otorongo »

At the end of December I obtained a Monstera cutting. It had no aerial roots or buds, just a long green stalk with a leaf at the end.

I kept it in a glass of water for 2 or 3 weeks with willow twigs (to encourage rooting) in an east/north-east facing cool room (~15C) and it didn't do anything.

My next attempt was to stick the stalk in soil. I let it sit like that for a few more weeks.

Today I gently took it out from the soil to see if any roots had formed. Unfortunately, still no roots. But the very end of the stalk looks a bit different - it's slightly lighter in colour and seems somewhat swollen. The plant is still green and alive as if it the cutting had just been separated from its mother plant; it's just that it doesn't seem to want to put out roots.

I have now cut off the lowest 3 inches and stuck the remaining bit (with the leaf) back in the soil.
The 3 inch piece I'm going to dip in rooting hormone and lay flat on the surface of soil in another pot and place it in a heated propagator (~20-22C and decent humidity). Do you guys think that would help?

If not, what am I doing wrong?
flounder

Re: rooting Monstera deliciosa - 7 weeks and no luck :(

Post by flounder »

that bit you said is lighter and swollen, is where the roots were forming. Under the plants outer layer, bark if you like, is something called the er.......can't remember..........cambian layer or whatever :roll:
Monstera cuttings can take 3 months to do anything. You've done alright so far cos it hasn't rotted icon_thumleft
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I've always taken the top off with a couple of aerial roots, stuck in a tub of well drained compost, and left to get on with it. They are not the fastest to establish. Provided the leaf doesn't die off there is not too much to worry about :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by otorongo »

Thanks. I guess I was too impatient. I shouldn't have cut it; I should have stuck it back into the soil. My only rooting experience so far has been with herbaceous plants (basil, sage,...) which root within days and don't need leaves for that.

So, now I have that 3" long piece with a "cambian layer" but no leaves, and a foot+ long stalk with a leaf but no "cambian layer". I take it I'll have to wait another 6-7 weeks until the long stalk develops a "cambian layer". But I'm worried about the short piece - is it going to die due to having no leaves?
flounder

Post by flounder »

Incorrect. you now have two cuttings, one without leaves and the other with. The cambian layer is where the roots come from, it doesn't form a cambian layer. It was a long time ago I learned about the biology side of propagation so forget about that for now incase I'm talking boll.. rubbish icon_study :D
Chances are the bit you cut off will perish, but you never know it might have shocked it into quickly sending out roots in an act of self preservation.
With vegetative propagation, all you need is luck and patience :wink:
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

I think it forms Callus, no?
flounder

Post by flounder »

Yeah something like that, I need a refresher I think :wink:
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

OK, I'll leave it alone and pray then :)

It's in a warmer environment now, hope this speeds things up.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

They only grow a shoot from the leaf node point, so if the bottom you cut off does not have a leaf node, it is very unlikely to shoot, it will just root. The top will eventually grow new roots.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright