Musa ensete ventricosum seeds.

Forum rules
This section is for discussion on all methods of plant propagation
kohwoz

Musa ensete ventricosum seeds.

Post by kohwoz »

I bought some Ensete Ventricosum seeds at the beginning of Febuary. I soaked them for 4 days in hot water and left them on top of a radiator. Before i soaked them i filed the hard shell as recommended.

After the four day soak, i bagged them up in some compost keeping it damp and then left them again on the radiator... 10 days later 2 of them showed a sign of life. 1 week after i could see more roots i potted them up today in some water bottles. The other 6 have not done much.

Here are some pics...

This was my first experience in germinating Bananas...
kata

Re: Musa ensete ventricosum seeds.

Post by kata »

Oh yes K,

They are there alright and look spiffin. Its too warm here for radi heat all day...and I can't get a sausage from a tropical seed...HAHAHAHA!!

Well done K! icon_cheers icon_cheers
kohwoz

Post by kohwoz »

Update... Today photos, they are coming along slowly and still sat on the radiator, although it ain't on anymore..

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Growing fast. icon_thumright but now need less heat and more light, with as much sun as possible or they grow soft then burn later.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by kohwoz »

Dave Brown wrote:Growing fast. icon_thumright but now need less heat and more light, with as much sun as possible or they grow soft then burn later.
Dave, i have a question. Will they both be ok to put outside Even though the Night Time lows are 2 deg C? We have Day Time Temps of 12-14 deg C.
kohwoz

Post by kohwoz »

Here is an update on my self germinated Ensete Ventricosum. In the future i will germinate Bananas from seed as the one's bought from the Palmenmann are not really worth it, always look tatty as hell...

andyb

Post by andyb »

Good lookin nanas there kohwoz, never had any joy with germinating nana seeds but still keep trying :D in fact theres some in the prop now not doing much :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
kohwoz

Post by kohwoz »

andyb wrote:Good lookin nanas there kohwoz, never had any joy with germinating nana seeds but still keep trying :D in fact theres some in the prop now not doing much :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers Andy. It was my first time.. Beginners luck I guess. Only 2 came to something out of 6 seeds. Same with my bamboos. Just need to find a fresh supplier.
kohwoz

Post by kohwoz »

Here they are now, although they have had a good battering from the wind.. They have gone a little black at the bottom, perhaps from too much water or this crazy weather...Cold then hot and the cold again.

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Looking good :wink:

The black colouring on the pseudostem is the normal colour of many Ensete ventricosum. It isn't a problem :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by kata »

Beauties Kohwoz!!

icon_cheers icon_cheers