What seeds shall I sow??

Forum rules
This section is for discussion on all methods of plant propagation
Julia

What seeds shall I sow??

Post by Julia »

As I've just started this exotic gardening lark :)
Some of you may remember that I've bought a few plants to get me started for next year.

I have got some banana seeds.
But can any one recommend any other seeds to sow ?
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: What seeds shall I sow??

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Canna seeds are very easy and produce good plants within the first year. I would start sowing from late Feb onwards.

Amaranthus, nicandra and ricinus all grow quickly and give good results in one season.
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Last edited by Yorkshire Kris on Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ourarka

Post by ourarka »

I have never thought of growing canna from seed - does this guarantee virus free? (presuming no virused plants in the garden to pass it on)
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

ourarka wrote:I have never thought of growing canna from seed - does this guarantee virus free? (presuming no virused plants in the garden to pass it on)
I have read a couple of sources that imply that it is theoretically possible to transmit virus via seed, but most everything I have read says its a good way of avoiding virus.

So my take is that you would be hugely unlucky to get virus via home-grown from seed, and maybe its not even possible for the virus to remain viable in the seed.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Julia wrote:But can any one recommend any other seeds to sow ?
Now?

I grew Cannas from seed a couple of years ago, on the advice of Gardeners World I sowed in September and used a growing light. They flowered in December and set seed in January!

For Hardy Annuals it is not uncommon to sow in the Autumn

For Spring time:

I grew Bananas from seed (Musa sikkimensis) sown in the Spring. I have also grown Coleus (Wizard Scarlet and Wizard Velvet Red) as an infill plant this year (its normally a fancy-coloured leaf house plant), and other Cannas grown from seed this year include:
Canna limbata
Canna paniculata
Canna Tropicana Series Red Bronze
Canna Tropicana Series White
Canna tuerckheimii

all of which were relatively straightforward

I have also grown some Hedychium (Ornamental ginger) assam orange, spicatum and yunnanense although they will be a couple of years before they flower.

Also sown this year: Baptisia australis, some Datura, Iochroma australis, Leonotis nepetifolia (which has grown really strongly and I think looks sort-of-tropical :) ), Nicotiana langsdorffii and sylvestris (my wife doesn't think that sylvestris looks "exotic", I disagree!), and I grow Cleome spinosa (the White one) which I think is exotic looking

Rhodochiton atrosanguineum (climber) might work, often reported as difficult to grow from seed (I suspect freshness of the seed)

Paulownia tomentosa is a popular plant for Exotic. When it is 2-3 years old you can "stool" it (cut down to 6" tall and only allow one stem to grow back) and it makes massive leaves. I grew some from seed this year and they germinated like cress!
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

ourarka wrote:I have never thought of growing canna from seed - does this guarantee virus free? (presuming no virused plants in the garden to pass it on)

I've never heard anyone say they seed grown cannas were virused and mine were all clean and remain so.
flounder

Post by flounder »

cordyline australis, ipomoea, definitely canna and the others mentioned.
Not strictly a seed, but source some eddoes (colocasia esculenta)(asian/oriental supermarket or the like) to start off in the new year.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Try some echiums Julia. Even if you don't get them to flowering stage, they still make for big leafy, striking plants. If you get the flower tower on some, even better. icon_thumleft
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:Try some echiums Julia.
Do you think they need a greenhouse to overwinter though? or is it worth just chancing that we get a run of mild winters?
Arlon Tishmarsh

To get the flower tower in the 3rd year a g/h is a better bet to overwinter one or two for insurance but start a few off now and next season they'll grow into nice big leafy impact plants.
I suggested them in the context of not worrying about the tower, just get a few going for next year. icon_thumleft
Julia

Post by Julia »

Kristen wrote:
Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:Try some echiums Julia.
Do you think they need a greenhouse to overwinter though? or is it worth just chancing that we get a run of mild winters?
Thanks guys, just looking on the net to find where I can order these from :)

Bubblewrap should be here today for the greenhouse . I've also ordered one of those 2kw heaters ( hopefully on its way to me as we speak :) )
I ordered a thermostat. It was £10 cheaper from primrose site, but it should be in stock middle of September :)

Hence the reason for seeds. Spent far too much already :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Next year I'm also looking to buy a fatsia and Dicksonia Antartica
And, and , and :shock: :lol: :lol:
Arlon Tishmarsh

Julia , if you want some nice cheap fatsia try The Range. I get mine from there. They normally have two sizes the dearest being £3. something pence . GVFM in my book. The one's i bought last year average about 3ft high now and the best from the year before is about 5ft.

p.s If you're lucky, come the winter knockdowns you'll get them cheaper. I've had them for a pound a pot at our local. icon_thumleft
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:To get the flower tower in the 3rd year a g/h is a better bet to overwinter one or two for insurance but start a few off now and next season they'll grow into nice big leafy impact plants.
I suggested them in the context of not worrying about the tower, just get a few going for next year. icon_thumleft
I like the sound of that, thanks :) I am about to order some seed, so will sow some Echium to grow a bit over winter and then they can make an early start, next year, on being impact plants :)
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Julia wrote:Thanks guys, just looking on the net to find where I can order these from :)

Hence the reason for seeds. Spent far too much already
It will make your money go further anyway, if you are not in a tearing hurry for the plants.

Chilterns
Plant World Seeds
Jungle_Seeds

are worth a look for starters. Worth asking on here too (in the Casual Sales Forum) as folk may well have some seed they can stick in an envelop for you
I'm also looking to buy ... Dicksonia Antartica
There are usually Autumn sales, you might get as much as 50% off. Amulree 50% off sale started today, but Seagrave are close enough to you that you cold View, Choose and Collect ... which would save a bit on carriage, and they seem to generally be regarded as amongst the best D.A. suppliers. Save up for a big one though, they grow slowly and I have read plenty of people on here saying "Beginners mistake, wish I had bought bigger ones" ... I have 4x one-footers, although I do have a spot for them at that height ... but I'm now thinking of a couple of 5-footers :)