Musa Nagensium seeds (giant banana)

Forum rules
This section is for discussion on all methods of plant propagation
Somerset77

Musa Nagensium seeds (giant banana)

Post by Somerset77 »

I bought some seeds in the jungle seeds sale last month along with Musa zebrina & some Strelitza Reginae and Giant Nicolai.
Soaked seeds for x5 days on window sill in normal water. Sowed them on 7th Sep and put them in a prop using a rough 9hrs @ 30 degrees and bout 12ish hrs @ 18 degrees.

Just checked them today and I've got 6 Musa Nagensium (giant banana) sprouted and what looks like a Strelitza Reginae.

I'm well chuffed as I managed to grow from seed x2 ensete ventricosum and x2 sikkis this year already! icon_thumleft

These are classed as a new banana on the jungle seeds website, does anyone have any more info or experience with these?

(I've also got Zebrina & Yunnan still cooking too) :D
Last edited by Somerset77 on Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GREVILLE

Re: Musa Nagensium seeds

Post by GREVILLE »

Well done with those, Paul icon_cheers

I sowed a batch of Musa and Ensete at the end of 2010 which included nagensium keeping them religiously in the hot/cold regime and got nowhere with the lot. I composted them all a few months ago. Mind you, I'll still check the bin when I empty it :lol:

Some reports on nagensium suggest a degree of hardiness but won't match basjoo and sikkimensis for that.

If your collection overflows with surplus, Paul, I'd happily consider a swap/purchase for nagensium and yunnan, too, if a plantation of those appears icon_thumleft
Somerset77

Re: Musa Nagensium seeds

Post by Somerset77 »

GREVILLE wrote:Well done with those, Paul icon_cheers

I sowed a batch of Musa and Ensete at the end of 2010 which included nagensium keeping them religiously in the hot/cold regime and got nowhere with the lot. I composted them all a few months ago. Mind you, I'll still check the bin when I empty it :lol:

Some reports on nagensium suggest a degree of hardiness but won't match basjoo and sikkimensis for that.

If your collection overflows with surplus, Paul, I'd happily consider a swap/purchase for nagensium and yunnan, too, if a plantation of those appears icon_thumleft

Thanks greville icon_thumleft

I'd also happily consider a swap with you no worries mate! I will keep this thread updated as things happen and will soon include some pics when there's something more interested to look at :lol:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Musa Nagensium seeds (giant banana)

Post by Dave Brown »

I bought a whole load of Banana seeds from Jungle seeds back in 2008, including M negensium, 160 seeds in all. I got 2x zebrina, and 1 x sikkimensis. The other 157 seed were chucked after 2 years. Not bothered with Musa seed since :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Somerset77 »

I've just re potted my 6 Giant banan seedlings and found a 7th! icon_thumleft (I've left that one in prop as bit small)

It was only 3 weeks ago they were in a glass jar in soak, amazing.

These are seemingly fast growers compared to the other musas from seed. And all have nearly unfurled a leaf already!
They are leaning not for light but because i had a mare and should have done them yesterday but forgot so 24 hrs later they were pushing against the lid! :roll:

Here is a pic of the 6 i potted 10mins ago (10.50PM)!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (26.73 KiB) Viewed 4202 times
flounder

Post by flounder »

Good going icon_thumright
I still get excited by banana seeds germinating, even after my first one nine odd years ago :D
Somerset77

Post by Somerset77 »

flounder wrote:Good going icon_thumright
I still get excited by banana seeds germinating, even after my first one nine odd years ago :D
I know wat you mean! Almost addictive for some reason icon_thumright
flounder

Post by flounder »

They grow better stood upright tho' :wink:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

flounder wrote:They grow better stood upright tho' :wink:
And easier to water :lol:

Where and when did you get the seed, as I think freshness is the secret of early germination. If stored dry for any length of time they go into a sort of dormancy that then had to be broken.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Vagetarian »

What little university research has been done with banana seeds was done with fresh (weeks or a few months old) seed and the results seem to be >80% germination in just a few weeks. So, freshness is certainly key.
Somerset77

Post by Somerset77 »

Dave Brown wrote:
flounder wrote:They grow better stood upright tho' :wink:
And easier to water :lol:

Where and when did you get the seed, as I think freshness is the secret of early germination. If stored dry for any length of time they go into a sort of dormancy that then had to be broken.
I ordered seed end of August, they arrived September 1st, then went in soak the following monday(3rd). Only stored my end for 48hrs ish. No idea how long seed been stored at jungle seeds for?

100% germination within 3wks. (classing this as extremely lucky)

I've still no sign of growth from the other seeds at present tho (Musa Yunnan)

At least I've had the main ones germinated! I found these very interesting and not a lot of info on the old web....at least in the uk anyway!

Ohh and they are the right way up now! :lol: :lol:
Somerset77

Re: Musa Nagensium seeds (giant banana)......UPDATE

Post by Somerset77 »

Thought I'd post a picture of what they look like now. They are about 3.5months old and compared to the sikkis last year, their growth has been amazing. I've had to be really harsh to them to try to slow them down, they are on their 3rd pot already.

They are now in my poly as had to make room for my musifolia & flame cannas that ive germinated from seed bought in America.

Enjoy icon_thumleft
Attachments
image.jpg