palm sowing

Forum rules
This section is for discussion on all methods of plant propagation
froggy

palm sowing

Post by froggy »

Hi I heve been soaking seed of bismarckia nobilis & brahea armarta for 3 days I have changed water every day leaving
seed out of water for about an hour or so between changes, water maintained @ 30 c. After looking up various sites
none seem to agree on whether to peel , scarify or leave seed as it is could anyone help please. I have succesfully
germinated over the last few weeks mussa red tiger, joshua tree and agavi selsi.
Thank you. Froggy.
grub

Re: palm sowing

Post by grub »

Have a look at Dave Ison's site Froggy http://www.davespalmpages.co.uk/ or even over at the EPS http://www.palmsociety.org.uk/forum/
tropical Tom

Post by tropical Tom »

I would say peel, any seed that needs warmth to germinate will probably rot if not peeled. Don't just listen to me though, see what the others say :D
flounder

Post by flounder »

The brahea seeds I can definitely say no to scarifying. Thats through personal experience though. They generally have a veerryy long germination period 6-18 months. I've had one germinate in six weeks but only one, the rest average around the 9-12 month mark. Any ones I've scarified, have all rotted.
Palms seeds I tend to use the 'baggie' method. The medium being 50/50 perlite vermiculite. i don't use just vermiculite as it tends to go stodgy on its own.
Everyone has their own favourite methods, it's all trial and error to find one or two ways you, yourself are happy with.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

I have some Licuala grandis and Bismarckia germinating as well. I soaked them for a few days then put each one into a cell pack with some seed starting mix slightly moist. I covered the cell packs with some clear wrap and sat them in the prop. I check on them every few days to see any growth but nothing yet. we should keep each other updated so we can get down a appox. germ time on the Bismarckia.
froggy

Post by froggy »

miketropic wrote:I have some Licuala grandis and Bismarckia germinating as well. I soaked them for a few days then put each one into a cell pack with some seed starting mix slightly moist. I covered the cell packs with some clear wrap and sat them in the prop. I check on them every few days to see any growth but nothing yet. we should keep each other updated so we can get down a appox. germ time on the Bismarckia.
Hi miketropic after a lot of suggested methods I have greatfully recieved I have decided to try sowing directly into
deep pots. will keep you informed.
Cheers.
Froggy.
countrylover

Post by countrylover »

I always treat palm seeds with smoke and ash. They always germinate much much faster than those not treated.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

care to explain that one since Ive never heard of it
countrylover

Post by countrylover »

There was a topic I posted about it on this forum.
It is simple Mike, you just copy mother nature. When you treat seeds with smoke you kinda send a message to them "hallo, your mum died in fire, so it is time for you to grow quick before other plants take over the place..."
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

do you have a link to the process? I would end up with cooked bismark seeds if I don't have instruction :lol:
flounder

Post by flounder »

Thats a method I use for plants from an area with bush fires, like any South African or Australian seeds I try. You can buy smoke primer discs, but I just soak seeds in water that has wood ash added. Its messy, but I get good results icon_thumleft
countrylover

Post by countrylover »

Mike I found an article about it long time ago in a magazine and decided to try this method on some palm seeds that I could not make to germinate for over a year. Because I smoke it was easy to treat them and after a week all of them germinated :D
There was a nice website on treating seeds with smoke but ain't got a link, sorry
flounder

Post by flounder »

Cl, you use cigarette ash? :shock: All those harmful pollutants! If it works though..... icon_thumright
countrylover

Post by countrylover »

Yes Flounder, I treat a box with seeds as an ashtray too :lol:
And people say only bad things about smoking :(
flounder

Post by flounder »

countrylover wrote:Yes Flounder, I treat a box with seeds as an ashtray too :lol:
And people say only bad things about smoking :(
Must try it, I generate way too much ash for my health :wink: