how hot is too hot?

Forum rules
This section is for discussion on all methods of plant propagation
miketropic

how hot is too hot?

Post by miketropic »

since I have never used a prop before it is all experimenting for me icon_thumleft . I have failed to get a thermo for the prop so I put it on a timer but I think it is getting far to hot. I put my thermo into one of the baggies ( traveler palm ) which I knew needed to be hot but near the bottom of the bag I was gettin 36 C almost 37..I think I am cooking my seeds unknowingly. what is the proper soil temp inside the prop suppose to be. I know it varys by species but a general rule to go by? I havent put much in it yet but I don't want to cook the stuff I have, unless its to late, and don't want to ruin anything new.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: how hot is too hot?

Post by Dave Brown »

I have a non thermostatically controlled prop and it did cook seed. Now I fill with water 1/2 inch deep and this stops the temps getting too hot. The problem more than the temp is the heat causes moisture to rise in the compost and the bottom dries out. Things like Aolocasia or Colocasia I just stand the pots in the water, but for seed you need to stop waterlogging soI use the baggy method tumbling the seed daily to keep the compost evenly moist. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by miketropic »

well I was leaving the seed sit in the baggies thinking I should disturb them but if I should roll the moisture around then I will. hope for better results soon
Ian Cooke

Post by Ian Cooke »

A fairly wide range of seeds will germinate at around 21C ( 70F). I bought a cheap propagator last year without a thermostat and it did the same - cooked seeds and rotted cuttings. I have to say I think they are useless and will give you nothing but disappointment. I sold it on ebay - hope it wasn't you that bought it!
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Ian Cooke wrote: I have to say I think they are useless and will give you nothing but disappointment. I sold it on ebay - hope it wasn't you that bought it!
They are ideal for restarting dormant Alocasia. Just fill with water and stand the
pot with the Alocasia rhizome in it :D
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Ian Cooke »

Excellent idea - like a tiny tropical pool!
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

wasnt me that bought it. I made my own I have since lined the bottom with cardboard in hopes of keeping some of the heat out of the baggies and it seems to be working we will see how it goes from here
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Ian Cooke wrote:Excellent idea - like a tiny tropical pool!
yes, water loving Colocasia also 'go bananas' in it. When I divide Colocasia in spring, they spend a few days in it to settle them down. There is normally a queue for mine :lol:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

miketropic wrote:wasnt me that bought it. I made my own I have since lined the bottom with cardboard in hopes of keeping some of the heat out of the baggies and it seems to be working we will see how it goes from here
Mike, I filled mine with hoticultural grit saturated with water, on a timer set to 15 min on, 15 min off. With a cover on, it kept the surface temp 22 to 24C :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by miketropic »

well the bottom on the tank is a small river stone so it keep heat well then some foil the mat and some more foil.it was really getting warm so I put the cardboard on top of that which has since cooled it down. I also set the timer for 30 mins on 1 hour off...it only has 30 min intervals. hope this works out and nothing else is cooked. if this dosent work it might be in my best interest to ground sow like before or buy an established plant. this prop thing is new for me and its getting a bit frustrating. mother nature seems to like me more :lol:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

miketropic wrote:this prop thing is new for me and its getting a bit frustrating. mother nature seems to like me more :lol:
It is like having a greenhouse with no windows and a fan heater permanently on, as soon as the sun comes out it will be too hot. You have to supply the seed with the correct temp for germination. If seed needs 15 to 20C (60-68F) if won't germinate at 50C (122F) I only use a prop for things requiring tropical heat. I have the big thermostatically controlled one for between 22C (72F) and 35C (95F). The small uncontrolled one is just used for bottom heat through water :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by miketropic »

hmm I'll see what I come up with gunna take alot more research I believe. since I think most of the seeds from this company wernt any good ( read bad reviews after the fact ) I will have to start with some viable seed to find out where or if I am going wrong. until then the palm seeds will stay in the prop. whats a good temp for Hedychium?