Germinating banana seed in perlite??

Forum rules
This section is for discussion on all methods of plant propagation
stevieboy1

Germinating banana seed in perlite??

Post by stevieboy1 »

Just been looking up ways to sew banana seeds as I've got 3 lots comming in the mail fresh seed,,,,so I'm told lol but will see.

I can't decide what woul be the best and easiest way to go being I'm new to growing tropical things. I came across a thread on some other site that they are saying growing banana seed in just per soaked perlite.

Could I germinate them in perlite after they have had there few days soak? If this would work i think it would be good for me.

What do you all think good bad?
What would you all say is the best method if I can't use perlite?

Thank you in advance
& happy growing
Steve ;-)
Somerset77

Re: Germinating banana seed in perlite??

Post by Somerset77 »

Hi Steve check out my thread below this one.

It does depend n freshness I think but I always use a propagator with variable temp that can reach 40 degrees (but never use it that high). I also soak them in very warm water (bordering on hot) and change it twice a day for at least 2 days then just sow in normal seed compost.
In the last 12 months I've grown ensetes, sikkis and now Nagensium (giant banana) and zebrina.

Hope this helps icon_thumleft
stevieboy1

Post by stevieboy1 »

It was reading your post that made me make a posting. :wink: I dont have a propagator but my airing cubords sits around 30 most of the time only droping to 28 and very low 25ish if ive left the door open for too long lol.
So Im hoping I can use that.

Ive got 3 lots comming in the mail:

Musa Zebrina x10
Musa velutina x10
Ensete glaucum x10

I aked about the perlite as someone else (else ware via a general web sertch said thats what they use) I was wondering as i knwo perlite wont have any nastys in it etc. Pluss using the airing cubord wont be as messy as soil lol. I could keep a better eye on them in the perlite and as and if im lucky to get one to grow i could then transfer it to a pot etc. icon_scratch

But if its not advisable I will do how you mentioned. icon_thumleft I just realy want to be able to grow one from a seed. icon_cheers

When you say soaking them to almost hot do you mean like HOT but not hot enough to burn yourself hot? icon_scratch I dont want to cook them lol I could put them in to soak with hot water and leave it on the raidiator wen on or the fishtank lid that gives of head.

I know Im mad and bordering crazyness but I think the seed will be here tomorrow with any luck and I want to get stuck in! drunken_smilie1 :roll: icon_thumleft

Regards
Steve icon_thumleft
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

stevieboy1 wrote:When you say soaking them to almost hot do you mean like HOT but not hot enough to burn yourself hot?
I use "hand hot water", i.e. water that is at the limit that you can put your hand into.

I put mine in bags with Sphagnum moss, rather than Vermiculite or Perlite.

I would think Perlite would clag up too much, and thus not enough air get in, and would personally choose Vermiculite in preference.

But I think there is far more air in Sphagnum moss, and lots of water retention too. Supposedly it has anti fungal properties too.
Somerset77

Post by Somerset77 »

Glad you liked my thread icon_thumleft

I'm by no means an expert on banana seeds............though it seems I'm getting there :lol: :lol: (joke)

It's definitely worth a go in your airing cupboard, though I'd keep an eye out for a decent propagator with a high temp range (just incase).

In regards to the soaking I run the tap to the point of OUCH! Then fill the glass approx a third to half full, seeds in job done till you put fresh water in later. (Most use a boiling kettle, I'm not that sadistic :twisted: )
stevieboy1

Post by stevieboy1 »

Ive never used Sphagnum moss but sounds like it would work better. Do you mean this kind of stuff??
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-New-Z ... 257963246c

I dont have any so Will have to try the perlite this time. I will get some when I can so i have some for the future if needed. icon_thumleft I dont think i want to try the soil method because of the nastys it may have so think if i pre soak some perlite drain it off and then mix the seeds in In placed in a large sealable clear tub then i can keep an eye on them and see if they pop. Fingers and toes crossed.

For the soaking I will use the hot tap till its hot then put the seeds in to soak and do that twice a day for 4 or 5 days befor putting them in the mix in the Airing cubord. Ive made some space in there now as some of the eddoes i had in there have started moving so Ive potted a few up and moved them out lol.

regards
Steve icon_thumleft
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

stevieboy1 wrote:Ive never used Sphagnum moss but sounds like it would work better. Do you mean this kind of stuff??
Yup. Didn't know you could get it in compressed blocks, sounds ideal if it can be stored like that until required. My local garden centre sells it in small bags, don't need much to germinate seeds in a plastic bag - its probably intended for lining hanging baskets, which obviously needs quite a bit :)
stevieboy1

Post by stevieboy1 »

Yeah ive used the moss lining for haning baskets in the past but never thought about using it for germinating seeds. :wink:
I will get some when I can but for now i will have to use the perlite lol. :roll: At least it wont have any nastys in it and i cant see why I wouldnt work to a degree if it can keep mosit, let air in etc all tucked up in a clear plastic tub to keep the moisture in etc I can keep a good eye on tehm then as i liek to go though all my pots tubs ect at least once a day to cheak on things and see if anything is moving icon_thumleft , or rotting icon_thumbdown etc.

Its all a very new leaning curve for me and hope I can pic up a few good growing tips and find a way that suits me best for things. icon_thumleft

Regards
Steve icon_thumleft
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

My Banana seeds propagated on my central heating boiler in the kitchen. The heat then cold then heat then cold seems to do the business. I soaked in very hot water for a few days before. It is nice when you see the roots and growth poking through icon_DJ
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

I don't think banana seeds, cannas and the like, mind much what they are germinated in as long as they have enough moisture, heat and air. Mine tend not to be in the prop long as I usually pot on pretty quickly anyway once they have germinated (probably quicker than most do) but that's just my way. I must admit I use pure perlite for most of my seeds, unless I know the seeds are finicky or have specific needs, but as has been mentioned, the fresher the seed the better.

A bit late to the party, but how did you get on with them Steve?

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
stevieboy1

Post by stevieboy1 »

I got some good germination from most of the banana seeds the last time round only one from the pink fuzzy banana seeds germinated but one is one and I was happy with that. I got 14 wild musa, 3 snow banana, two ventricosums and 3 musa sikimensis. They were only small lots of 8 seeds in each group but I RBI k they did well most grew well hoping there come though winter and can go back out when warmer but will see.

Regards
Steve
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

You did well Steve. Good luck with your overwintering, you should have some nice sized plants come Summer icon_thumleft

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.