Propergator help please

Forum rules
This section is for discussion on all methods of plant propagation
kentgardener

Post by kentgardener »

Hi Mixiepalms

thanks for the answer - I had in my mind a vision of some sort of steaming hole in the ground full of rotting straw and horse manure.

I know the cover for pots technique - I use the top half of lemonade bottles on top of pots. It has worked well this year for the strelitzia nicholai seeds I brought back from Madeira.

cheers

John
mixiepalms

Post by mixiepalms »

no worries

i aint a typist clearly, only pit i could imagine is an outside bog god forbid lol. or my compost heap!
daz

Post by daz »

Cheers guys.The reason i bought the prop was cos i don;t have a boiler as such just a combi boiler.Ill go get some vrmiculite tommorow bye the was the seeds are from ebay and are ensete ventricosum{sorry spelling} :oops:
mixiepalms

Post by mixiepalms »

im the one who cannot spell mate lol. im not a techincal grower just a crapish typer, ( waits for message from aido now). (re rude word lol)
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Theres going tobe alot of ensetes going spare this spring if all these seeds germinate,theres another batch bound for Medway along with some ornata and Stretzila nicolai :lol:
Best clean that propagator out and get some vermiculite/perlite at the ready.
Bloody ebay :twisted:
daz

Post by daz »

Also guys in the propergator ther's a black mat.Can anyone tell me what it's for? :shock: Thanks..daz
Libby

Post by Libby »

Just to change the subject a bit, on my blog at the beginning of the year I put up a challenge 'the great pip challenge' you had to grow a pip or something from around the house, my hubby loves dates, you know the ones in long boxes that come out at christmas and I was quite successful and manage to germinate and grow on 3, they are in the greenhouse as I speak, I also for fun had a go at growing a ginger root for 2 reasons, one the little book I had said it was one of the hardest to germinate and 2 I had a ginger root in the fridge, I got that to germinate to :shock: my success I think stems from the fact I have a solid fuel rayburn so my airing cupboard is exceptionally warm and thats where they all went in bags of damp vermiculite and compost.
I really must have another go at something again :D
kentgardener

Post by kentgardener »

Libby - you can get Ensete seeds on ebay for a few quid at the moment......

John
Libby

Post by Libby »

:lol: :lol: oh dear, do I really want to???
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Go on you know you want to :D
I see a contest in the making here :wink: