Propergator help please

Forum rules
This section is for discussion on all methods of plant propagation
kentgardener

Post by kentgardener » Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:37 pm

Hi Mixiepalms

thanks for the answer - I had in my mind a vision of some sort of steaming hole in the ground full of rotting straw and horse manure.

I know the cover for pots technique - I use the top half of lemonade bottles on top of pots. It has worked well this year for the strelitzia nicholai seeds I brought back from Madeira.

cheers

John

mixiepalms

Post by mixiepalms » Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:39 pm

no worries

i aint a typist clearly, only pit i could imagine is an outside bog god forbid lol. or my compost heap!
Football is my religion, White Hart Lane is my church. Harry Redknaps blue and white army.

daz

Post by daz » Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:55 pm

Cheers guys.The reason i bought the prop was cos i don;t have a boiler as such just a combi boiler.Ill go get some vrmiculite tommorow bye the was the seeds are from ebay and are ensete ventricosum{sorry spelling} :oops:

mixiepalms

Post by mixiepalms » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:16 pm

im the one who cannot spell mate lol. im not a techincal grower just a crapish typer, ( waits for message from aido now). (re rude word lol)
Football is my religion, White Hart Lane is my church. Harry Redknaps blue and white army.

SteveW

Post by SteveW » Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:08 pm

Theres going tobe alot of ensetes going spare this spring if all these seeds germinate,theres another batch bound for Medway along with some ornata and Stretzila nicolai :lol:
Best clean that propagator out and get some vermiculite/perlite at the ready.
Bloody ebay :twisted:

daz

Post by daz » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:30 am

Also guys in the propergator ther's a black mat.Can anyone tell me what it's for? :shock: Thanks..daz

Libby

Post by Libby » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:47 am

Just to change the subject a bit, on my blog at the beginning of the year I put up a challenge 'the great pip challenge' you had to grow a pip or something from around the house, my hubby loves dates, you know the ones in long boxes that come out at christmas and I was quite successful and manage to germinate and grow on 3, they are in the greenhouse as I speak, I also for fun had a go at growing a ginger root for 2 reasons, one the little book I had said it was one of the hardest to germinate and 2 I had a ginger root in the fridge, I got that to germinate to :shock: my success I think stems from the fact I have a solid fuel rayburn so my airing cupboard is exceptionally warm and thats where they all went in bags of damp vermiculite and compost.
I really must have another go at something again :D

kentgardener

Post by kentgardener » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:57 am

Libby - you can get Ensete seeds on ebay for a few quid at the moment......

John

Libby

Post by Libby » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:54 am

:lol: :lol: oh dear, do I really want to???
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

SteveW

Post by SteveW » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:34 am

Go on you know you want to :D
I see a contest in the making here :wink: