Gardenia 'Kleims Hardy' cuttings?

Forum rules
This section is for discussion on all methods of plant propagation
Petefree

Gardenia 'Kleims Hardy' cuttings?

Post by Petefree »

I've had this hardy gardenia for a couple of years. I keep it in a pot as it likes an ericaceous soil.
I've been pleased with it - it's quite a compact little shrub, but with nice deep glossy evergreen foliage, and the big creamy white, single flowers, have a beautiful scent. For me it seems happiest on the patio, and shaded during summer by other plants.
I took a cutting a couple of months ago and just shoved it in a pot of ericaceous compost in the heated propagator. I wasn't really expecting much of it, as thought I'd read Gardenias were tricky from cuttings. But it seems to have rooted icon_thumleft
I might try to take some more in spring.
Has anyone else tried these from cuttings?
Pete
pete G

Re: Gardenia 'Kleims Hardy' cuttings?

Post by pete G »

I've made only half hearted attemps at cuttings from mine Pete.

Maybe mines been getting too much sun, but I've not found it to be all that ornamental.

I've got it in a pot of ericacious, but it drops leaves all the time, and I find the flowers are ruined by the slightest shower in the summer.

So with the past two summers we have had its been a bit dissappointing.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

I havent tried cuttings yet but mine seems much happier now in the ground than in a pot.
Mines in dappled shade by the ferns, not great flower wise this year but foliage is a nice deep green colour.
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

I;ve taken a few cuttings from mine too, back in September, so far they look fine outside in a pot. I haven't checked for roots yet but I'm sure they'd have died by now if they hadn't rooted or weren;t going to.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

How did it go Pete? are they as difficult as they say :?: :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Petefree »

Hmmm...well it's still alive Dave - but the cutting is still only about 4" tall - so I can't say it's been a resounding success. That said, I have probably neglected it quite a bit.

They used to be quite hard to come by, but I noticed Thompson & Morgan were selling the plants recently.

It definitely seems pretty hardy.

Pete
pete G

Post by pete G »

Just notice this thread has been resurrected.

My main plant died this spring, probably due to the bad winter and the roots getting frosted.
Anyway, due to it looking crappe in the spring I quickly took some cuttings,.. they all took well, and I ended up with about five new plants, one of which is just flowering now.

I found they rooted very easily in a propagator withy bottom heat.
philip kitts

Post by philip kitts »

Anybody still got kleims hardy after two miserable winters.?
Petefree

Post by Petefree »

Yep - seems to have come through winter with no damage here. I planted it out in the end, as Adrian mentioned his was doing better in the ground. It doesn't like to dry out too much so mine is also in a semi shaded spot under a big trunked cordyline. Nice fresh green growth and new flower buds at the moment.