This section is for discussion on all methods of plant propagation
derrick

Ricinus - when to sow

Post by derrick » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:12 am

When do you pot the seeds

Guy

Re: Ricinus

Post by Guy » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:08 am

Late march or first week of april. They grow so fast that you end up with enormous plants by May for planting out otherwise.

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:30 pm

Mine went in at the weekend, dont try telling me its way too early because I always so them around this time.
sorry webshots site no longer available
http://www.palmsociety.org.uk

collins99

Post by collins99 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:34 pm

Growing this for the first time this year , i am going to pot mine up on the kitchen windowsill (no greenhouse yet :mrgreen: ) next week because i want to get them as big as possible for the summer ... :D :D

nick....
nick....

derrick

Post by derrick » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:49 pm

I have two plants from last year not the large type .I have 12 seeds someone gave me . I better order some zanzibar impala seeds.

collins99

Post by collins99 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:48 pm

I got my Ricinus zanzibar seeds from Jungle Seeds , they give a very good service more reliale than e bay i would imagine ....

nick...
nick....

Guy

Post by Guy » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:16 am

My Zanzibar was 12foot tall at the end of last season and absolutely enormous leaves. I'll post a picture at lunchtime as I'm at work now. This plant was started in early April and was enormous by planting out time. They don't like being pot bound so early sowing has never produced big plants for me. Others may have different experience.

GARYnNAT

Post by GARYnNAT » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:51 am

Nick why do you not google the plant??
Never mind i will do it for you :D

http://mirror.iasri.res.in/net/students ... munis3.jpg

http://portal.paaf.gov.kw/paaf/ershad/P ... munis2.jpg

Gary
Chief Troll
My green thumb came only as a result of the mistakes I made while learning to see things from the plant's point of view

Guy

Post by Guy » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:44 am

Wow, that second picture is amazing. Mine always flower well, but nowhere near that well. Does anyone else get that sort of affect and if so how? Might help if we had a summer I suppose.

Nick

Post by Nick » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:40 am

Gary yes seen it growing in the Dominican Republic wild, and seen it here as bedding focal point in councle bedding sceams.Thanks for the time taken Gary, say Hi to natt.
icon_sunny Nick icon_sunny
icon_sunny SUNSHINE NICK icon_sunny
My Webshots Gallery

NattiH

Post by NattiH » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:24 am

Guy we didn't really do anything special with ours to get that effect. They were just sown into a pot, on the window sill and then planted out in May, into one of the raised beds.

By the end of the summer they were 8' tall and had masses of flowers similar to the 2nd picture.

We haven't grown any for a few years because I don't like to have them because they are so poisonous - mainly that Nathan was so much younger and I was also worried about the cats playing with or eating the seeds.

:D

derrick

Post by derrick » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:18 pm

What about ricinus crimson spire any good .Hopefully the pesky tree rats squirrels will eat the seeds and are have red ones again.