Paulownia cuttings advice needed

Forum rules
This section is for discussion on all methods of plant propagation
Linden

Paulownia cuttings advice needed

Post by Linden »

When I cut off the second shoot on my Paulownia to allow the first one to grow large leaves, I didn't have time to plant it as a cutting, so I chopped it in half and put both bits in a glass of water. The top bit (with the leaves) is now sprouting new leaves but no roots, and the bottom piece (which was just a bit of stem) is now showing green shoots of new leaves from 1mm above the base, no roots but some stubby white lumps around and just above where the leaves are sprouting. Anybody out there with any advice on how to proceed now? I'm not sure whether to plant the bottom bit shallowly to avoid covering the new leaves (I'd need to prop it up with cocktail sticks if so) or should I wait for both bits to develop some proper-looking roots before I do anything, so just leave them in water? I'm so thrilled they're doing something, I don't want to risk losing them now. icon_scratch
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Paulownia cuttings advice needed

Post by Dave Brown »

Hi Linden,

I don't know of anyone who has succeded with cuttings. Paulownia is a hollow stemmed plant, like Elderberry, These also sprout leaves if you stick cut stems in the ground as stakes, but I have never know one to root. Not all plant meterial is capable of rooting. :roll: On the web they talk about 100% success with root cuttings :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Chalk Brow »

The New RHS Dictonary of Gardening, vol 3 says, after seed propagation:

"from root cuttings in winter, or by 5-8cm semi-ripe healed cuttings in summer, in the cold frame"

Creative Propagaton, Peter Thomson lists:

Seed Feb/Mar; Semi-ripe cuttings July; Root cuttings Dec-Feb

I've tried seed only and found them very easy.
seedaholic

Post by seedaholic »

Dave ,
When you say elderberry,can i asume you mean sambucus,i have never attempted them from hardwood cuttings,but they root very easily from softwood.
I have in the last month rooted cuttings from black lace,black beauty and the plain green laciniata.
Go on Dave give it another go,just think of the amount of elderberry wine you could end up drinking :D .

Tracey
pete G

Post by pete G »

Linden, dont give up, the white looking stubby bits often form before proper roots.
I think you may be in with a chance, an outside one, but a chance.

I 've not grown it from cuttings myself and I know it tends to be hollow stemmed, but then so are dahlias and they are frequently propagated from cuttings, its about getting a piece of stem that is not hollow.

I've grown catalpa from early shoot cuttings in the past and I think they are similar in many ways.
I'd keep it in the water and watch what happens.
AndyC

Post by AndyC »

I have tried propagating from cuttings a number of times and consistantly failed. I took some root cuttings for the first time in April and my fingers are crossed.
Andy
Chad

Post by Chad »

I would pot both halves up in a 'light' compost, so that any new green shoots can get to the light quickly.

Using 5 cm long cuttings of the new growth with a heal of old wood I have had 100% success some years - and 0% in others. Nothing in between though and I can't see what I've done differently!

The new growth is succulent, and doesn't go hollow until it starts to harden up. Same for the Elder varieties which are commercialy propagated from soft wood cuttings.

Chad.
Linden

Post by Linden »

Phew... thanks guys - I'll keep you posted on how it goes, fingers crossed!
AndrewBird

Post by AndrewBird »

what is a Paulownia please can someone post a picture :?: :?: :?:
bodster

Post by bodster »

look here for pics of paulownias that are coppiced Andrew:

http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... f=1&t=5164

Heres one of mine in flower
Attachments
paulownia2.jpg
derrick

Post by derrick »

That old paulownia branch i cut in four all four parts are growing I dont no how long for .