BANANA PROPAGATION

Forum rules
This section is for discussion on all methods of plant propagation
pickapalm

BANANA PROPAGATION

Post by pickapalm »

I tried to grow bananas from seed this spring but with no luck, :evil: I have been told that i need to have a different but constant temperature at night and was wondering if A heated propagator is a must, one which you can change the temperature.
Mark

Post by Mark »

PP you will need a propagator that has enough heat in it to reach about 80f. A lot of the cheaper ones don't get that high and it will then take longer for them to germinate. there is a cycle of 10 hours warm and 14 hours cold that most people use and for this you will need a timer.

On the other hand I make do with the cheapy proagators that have a pre set heat and I do ok with them. I have had banana seed in the prop for a year before its sprouted and just this week I have now had three different types come up. Two of them have only been in there for two weeks .

Another method is the heat mats that you get for reptiles. I know Erland is a great beliver in using these. I have had no luck what so ever with them though.

What types are you trying to grow ?

The easiest ones seem to be Velutina,Sikkimensis,Cheesmanii for the musa's Enstes are fairly easy too with ventricosum being most peoples best choice.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

The reptile heatmats work quite well at getting corms/pups started too.
pickapalm

Post by pickapalm »

Basically all the bananas that jungle seeds sell,willing to try them all
bodster

Post by bodster »

You dont want to go worrying about those banana things plantapalm :)
pickapalm

Post by pickapalm »

dont worry i will be trying to grow as many different types of palms that i can
bodster

Post by bodster »

I was just joking about the bananas to see if I could provoke a response from mark :) He's obviously asleep :)
Mark

Post by Mark »

:lol: I wasn't biting Mart :wink:
bodster

Post by bodster »

Damn that spoint my evil plan :)