Cordyline australis Seeds

Forum rules
This section is for discussion on all methods of plant propagation
Las Palmas Norte

Re: Cordyline australis Seeds

Post by Las Palmas Norte »

I've noticed a variation in these too. These are from seed recieved from John and Tacha through a friend in Northern Holland, and the parent plant managed -10°C (14°F) without any damage. Quite a claim and I hope that can follow through.
Anyway, a red slight coloring with the one on the right. All the others are green like the one on the left.

Cheers, Barrie.
Attachments
Cordylineaustralis.jpg
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Very similar to one of mine Barrie, but they seem to be a recent occurance probably due to the red forms only flowering locally recently. The original lots of self sown were all green. My C. purpurea has never flowered in the 12 or so years I have had it. it is about 12 feet tall with a solitary 3 inch trunk. I'm surprised it has not snapped with the size of the crown.

Here are some of this year's seedlings
Attachments
120909 Cordy seedlings 02.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Las Palmas Norte

Post by Las Palmas Norte »

I've had some like yours in the past Dave, and they out grew the coloring after getting on in size. Shame really since it did look quite nice. So I'm not sure that the one I have with the red tones will hold that trait later on.
Have you a pic of your purpurea you could post? Sounds like a nice one. I have a 3' one called 'Red Star'.

Cheers, Barrie.
trachy1973

Post by trachy1973 »

I was looking at the seeds on my cordy the aother day. It mentions previously that the seeds are ripe when the berry has turned white. Looking at mine however I have very few that are white. They are mainly red and the others blue. Why might this be do you think? There are no other flowering Cordys in the garden and seeing as the house is out in the country no other cordys of any type in the near vicinity anywhere?

I popped a seed pod the other day and they do contain the normal small black seeds inside.

Cheers

Keith
lucienc

Post by lucienc »

trachy1973 wrote:I was looking at the seeds on my cordy the aother day. It mentions previously that the seeds are ripe when the berry has turned white. Looking at mine however I have very few that are white. They are mainly red and the others blue. Why might this be do you think? There are no other flowering Cordys in the garden and seeing as the house is out in the country no other cordys of any type in the near vicinity anywhere?

I popped a seed pod the other day and they do contain the normal small black seeds inside.

Cheers

Keith
Isn't that just the white skins getting thin and showing the black seeds inside ?
trachy1973

Post by trachy1973 »

That's what I first thought until one pod I popped only had one small seed in it, otherwise surrounded by white pith.

They look pretty ripe to me.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I thought blue berries were Cordyline indivisa.They might make interesting seedlings :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Steve78 »

Hi everyone,

I recently joined as i am looking for advice. I have a cordyline palm, good size and had a white flower on it.

I have left the flower as it is and now turned black with green balls, are these green balls the seeds?

Thank you!

Steve
charliep

Post by charliep »

Yes they are seeds, but they are not ripe yet, normally they will turn white. If you live near the coast then self sown seedlings can become a nuisance. sown in pots they come up looking like grass but its a few years before they are big and tough enough to over winter outside like mummy!
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Steve78

Post by Steve78 »

icon_cheers thank you. I dont live near the coast. Does this mean if I plant them when green, they wont grow?

Thanks

Steve
charliep

Post by charliep »

They are not likely to germinate until they become ripe "Patience Grasshopper" !
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
GREVILLEAJ

Post by GREVILLEAJ »

If there are plenty of seeds to pick, Steve, you can always try to sprout them at different levels of colour and allow some to fall naturally. When you see which way gives you the most productive yield (or not at all!) you will be adding to your learning curve