TRex (Tetrapanax papyrifer) root cuttings - propagation

Forum rules
This section is for discussion on all methods of plant propagation
phoenix

TRex (Tetrapanax papyrifer) root cuttings - propagation

Post by phoenix »

Hi All
Thought I'd better put the step by step guide on (sorry I've been busy moving spikeys).

Step 1 Finding your roots.
P1140409 001.jpg
P1140410 002.jpg
Step 2 Cutting your roots
Use a sharp serrated knife or secatures and cut a well developed rot section from the main plant.
P1140412 004.jpg
Step 3 Preparing the cut root
Clean off all the excess soil and place the root cutting on a firm surface for cutting and cut into 2inch sections.
Step 3a
Step 3a
Step 3b
Step 3b
Step 4 Potting up
Pot up into 2/3ltr pots of good quality compost so that the top 5-10mm are above the surface of the soil.
P1140415 007.jpg
Step 5 Top dressing
Place a layer of grit or garvel to bring the potting medium up to the top of the cuttings.
P1140417 009.jpg
Step 6 Cooking
Cook in a propogator at 18-21C until new leaves start to develop from the top of the cuttings. Keeping the compost slightly damp at all times.
P1140418 010.jpg
P1140419 011.jpg
Hope that helps

Steve
Attachments
P1140422 014.jpg
tropical-pete

Re: Tetrapanax root cuttings

Post by tropical-pete »

Brilliant guide Steve icon_thumleft I never knew they could be actually propagated so well from root cuttings :roll: Have got mine in the Sankey at the moment, there's still a little bit sticking out the top as we haven't got any grit but we're going to get some at the latest by the weekend. Thanks for taking the time to do the guide!

Take care

Pete
musa_monkey

Post by musa_monkey »

Thanks steve very useful. I probably won't try that with the little one i got from you a while back just yet though :shock:
phoenix

Post by phoenix »

You should be able to this time next year :)
Just put it in a big pot in the spring and keep it very well watered.
AndyC

Post by AndyC »

A big thank you Steve, I've previously found getting pups to survive very hit and miss :D
Andy
phoenix

Post by phoenix »

Andy
The big problem with "Pups" is that you don't realise the amount of damage you do to the root system when you lift them.
If they're taken directly off of the parent plant then you are severing the main feed system totally as well as breaking off most of the "Pups" own root system.
I've found that the best way to obtain good offsets is to cut the pup off of the parent plant while still in the ground (expose the linking root sub-surface and cut) then leave the plant for a few weeks to develop a stronger independant root system before lifting.

Steve
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

For those of you who are not aware some of us bought some variegated T Rex roots from Steve back in the October Phoenix Gardens sale. Before we have a rush to ask for plants, those who bought the root cuttings had to sign an agreement not to propagate for sale, and my enterpritation of that is, that if passing a plant onto anyone else they should also sign the agreement. Perhaps Steve could clarify. :wink: As we are not talking about a faceless coperation here, I would expect members to respect that agreement icon_thumright I have spoken to Steve about adding this post icon_salut

I had planted my V T Rex roots before Steve put the instructions on here, so my roots were planted flat, the same way as they came out of the ground.
23102008 garden 007.jpg
I put the seed tray in a prop, with lid, without a thermostat, but attached to a 24hour timer with 15 min on 15 min off. This kept the temps to around 18/20C. The first sprout appeared 7th November.
07112008 garden 028.jpg

This was the seed tray by 30th Nov
30112008 garden 008.jpg
The temps became a problem in the sun as it was rising to 35C at times so I removed the lid. This reduced the temps to around 18/20C by day and 10/12C by night. Believe it or not they grew better in the cooler temps. icon_thumright
Here they are on New Years Day

How are the rest of you that have these doing
Attachments
010109 pics 015.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by lucienc »

Cool post Steve, I'd missed it earlier.

I'll give this a go soon :)

(and dam about missing the autumn meet !)

Lucien
simon

Post by simon »

I can't see any obvious variegation in the pic, Dave.

I bought some but Steve forgot to pack them for me, so they got left behind on the counter. He did promise to forward them by post but never did, so I won't be growing any either.
bodster

Post by bodster »

mine are growing but no sign of variagation yet either
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

I thought the general consensus was that it was unlikely that they would end up variegated?

Fingers crossed though!!
Andy Martin

Post by Andy Martin »

Member John Jearrard gave a very technical presentation on why he believed there would be no variegation. Unfortunately it wasn't on this forum. I tried the method Steve recommended and all my roots rotted. The roots didn't look that thick in diameter but it was worth the try.

I wonder whether we can get an update on how Steves magnificent Plants are doing in his front Garden :D
bodster

Post by bodster »

has anyone got any variagation in their plants yet? mine are plain green
The Codfather

Re: TRex (Tetrapanax papyrifer) root cuttings - propagation

Post by The Codfather »

about to have ago at from growing 1 root cuttings.....if I get 1 I will be over the moon.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Tropical Bob

Re: TRex (Tetrapanax papyrifer) root cuttings - propagation

Post by Tropical Bob »

Posted them out to you this morning! icon_thumleft Theyve shrunk/dehydrated to about a third the thickness since being dug up, but hopefully you can get some life out of them! icon_cheers