Brug cuttings .... what to do with them now?

Forum rules
This section is for discussion on all methods of plant propagation
Andrew In Bracknell

Re: Brug cuttings .... what to do with them now?

Post by Andrew In Bracknell »

Bodster, I think they hybridise with B. arborea, and those plants would have more of a usual flower shape, rather than the funnel of your pure one.
bodster

Post by bodster »

how unusual adrew? It would certainly explain why some grow from cuttings and some dont. The one I suspect to be a hybrid is a lot less hairy too
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Bodders said ages ago that sanguinea didnt root in water so that made me take one cutting from my plant before I threw it away and pop it into a jar of water, it rooted like any other Brug, bit slower but rooted well.
I have potted it up, not sure why as its my least favourite Brug.
Might well have been a lucky shot but as I only tried the one then I wont know for sure.
bodster

Post by bodster »

It may well be that sanguineas with some genes of other brugs root and pure ones dont. I took cuttings of both of mine and the one that looks half way between the sanguinea I've had for ages and one of the normal types is rooting
Mark

Post by Mark »

I think the one I have must be the Pure form as it rarely gets taller than three feet. And as you say its very hairy.
Andrew In Bracknell

Post by Andrew In Bracknell »

bodster wrote:how unusual adrew? It would certainly explain why some grow from cuttings and some dont. The one I suspect to be a hybrid is a lot less hairy too
A picture says a thousand words, here's what happens in a Brug x Flava, which is the result of Arborea x sanguinea:

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur ... n%26sa%3DN
bodster

Post by bodster »

thats a nice flower. When my suspect hybrid flowers, I'll be interested to see what its like