Sankey Plantmaster 2000 (Propagator) / Bio Green Heatmats

Forum rules
This section is for discussion on all methods of plant propagation
tropical-pete

Sankey Plantmaster 2000 (Propagator) / Bio Green Heatmats

Post by tropical-pete »

Hi all, hope you're well. I'm considering getting the Sankey Plantmaster 2000 with some money I've saved up. At the moment, the cheapest source I've found is JungleProducts, who are selling it for about 56.75, and that's including postage and packing. However, I am going to have a look around the local garden centres before purchasing. I was just wondering -
a) does anyone know of a cheaper source for this propagator? and
b) does anyone currently own this propagator/used to own this propagator, and if so, what's your overall opinion about it?

Thanks, take care

Pete
Last edited by tropical-pete on Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AndyC

Re: Sankey Plantmaster 2000 (Propagator)

Post by AndyC »

Hi Pete, I've had one of these props for a few years and find them ok for most seeds. However, I cannot get them to maintain a high enough temperature for the nana seed. The max sustainable temperature is around 25-28C.
I now much prefer the heat mats (also sold by JS). A 65W heat mat gives you a slightly larger surface are than the Plantmaster. You can use several smaller cheapo unheated trays with lids and achieve the same results except that you can easily get up to 40C if necessary.
Andy
Don

Post by Don »

Pete, I'll second Andy's comments. The majority of the manual thermostat things are so inaccurate that it is difficult to maintain a steady temperature. If the ambient temperature changes then setting No 3 or whatever is no longer the right one to get the correct temperature.
The same comments apply to Greenhouse fan heaters.
All problems solved by going with digital display stuff--such as the digital prop that Jungle sells. Not cheap but you can maintain a steady temperature and see that all is well.
tropical-pete

Post by tropical-pete »

Hi all - Thanks for your input guys. Since I am buying some heating equipment in the hope of germinating some nana seed, it looks like I should put this propagator aside for now.
Don - I've looked into that digital propagator. It is a bit expensive, and I've looked around on the internet to see if I can find it cheaper anywhere else - which I can't. I'll save it on my favourites just in case, but I think it's a bit expensive for me.
AndyC - I've looked at the heat mats on jungle, and it seems to be around the same price as the original propagator I was thinking of buying, so this is a strong possibility. If you got to this website, the overall price including P & P will work out a few pounds cheaper than jungle - every little helps! This looks like a very promising alternative - not only is it a little larger than the propagator, it still has a thermostat and soil proby thing so I can keep an eye on the temp.
So - now I pose a new question to you all - does anyone currently own a Bio Green Heatmats, including thermometer/used to own a Bio Green Heatmats, including thermometer, and if so, what's your overall opinion about it?

Thanks again, take care

Pete
Don

Re: Sankey Plantmaster 2000 (Propagator) / Bio Green Heatmats

Post by Don »

Yes Pete, I think both Andy and I were recommending the Biogreen mats with a built in thermostat--you will still need a thermometer to measure the actual temp.
I would stick with Jungle, unless there are big price differences, because when and if anything goes wrong they do respond, and if you get anything less than a perfect service there are several people on the forum who will give em Hell.
AndyC

Post by AndyC »

And I'll second Don's opinion. We are not one and the same person, honest. :wink:
Andy
palmking

Post by palmking »

I bought one of these from Jungleseeds a month ago . Could do with a digital thermometer though as it's difficult to know what temp its at. with the vents closed it is very efficient at maintaining a decent temp for some time after switching it off -if you like to be energy efficient(or tight(budget)) like me. I did remove the mat(supplied), to provide more direct bottom heat as the element is contained within the plastic base.

I have brought on many Yucca Rostrata and Livistona Australis seedlings in a couple of weeks with it.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I have a mechanical coil max/min themometer in my prop. This is just as feedback :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Gaz »

I know you mentioned you had ordered or was about to order your heat mat Pete, but which did you go for?
tropical-pete

Post by tropical-pete »

Hi all - thanks for reminding me of this thread!

I eventually decided to get the Bio Green Heat Mat from JungleProducts, the smallest one (40cm x 75cm), but that should be more than enough space for what I want to grow at the moment. I'm going to test it out first to get an accurate idea of the temps you can get, and I'm going to use a few differed planting methods (eg. some in clear plastic cups with another on top, some in pots with a prop lid on top etc.) to see how I can vary the temps within the propagator, as I'd like to try and germinate some musa seeds on there, but for those it has to be around 35C during the day, and not all plants will like that but I still want the space to be used, so I'm going to see how I can decrease the temperature for specific plants by altering the planting method. I'll keep you all informed on what's sowing and growing on there!

Thanks, take care

Pete
helen

Post by helen »

Pete, have you bought it yet?
Be careful, it's a jungle out there!
tropical-pete

Post by tropical-pete »

Yes Helen, we ordered it on Wednesday night, so it should be coming any day now :D We've just been out to get a tray to put on top of it and get some cheap propogator lids etc. so that I can try different methods to get different temps. I'll keep you informed :D Thanks, take care

Pete
Mark

Post by Mark »

You should have bought one of these pete :lol:
http://www.twowests.co.uk/TwoWestsSite/product/BGJP.htm

Only £99 :D
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I got mine from 2W&E about 20 years ago It heats to about 35C. But I cover it with multi layers of fleece at night to keep costs down.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
tropical-pete

Post by tropical-pete »

Hi all,
It arrived yesterday :D It's now set up in my room. It's on top of a set of drawers. It has some carpet underneath it, that I intend to replace with polystyrene as soon as we can get some. It then has some foil ontop of it, with one of the large Garland tray on top of that. I can then put seed trays, pots or whatever straight onto that. I've tried it on the highest setting, and it appears to take the soil temperature up to approximately 32C - 34C, will this be enough for banana seeds, does anyone know? With the polystyrene underneath, it might go an extra degree or two higher. I've sown some seeds to go on it today, and planted some bulbs. I'll be putting more stuff on there, I just need to look into seed germination techniques for some things.

Mark - I might consider that if I win 100 quid! Looks very good, but that's definitely out of my price range for the moment :lol:

Dave - that looks like a good setup you've got there, especially adding the insulation overnight to cut down costs. Which model is it that you've got?

Thanks, take care

Pete