Trachycarpus fortunei seed propagation

Forum rules
This section is for discussion on all methods of plant propagation
Brian

Trachycarpus fortunei seed propagation

Post by Brian »

I have just bought some Trachycarpus fortunei seeds and as i am only just learning about seed germination i was hoping you guys and girls could give me some tips, i have a Bio Green propagator and a heat mat that should go up to 35 degree. can i just soak for 24 hours then pot them up and place on the heat mat?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Trachycarpus fortunei seed propagation

Post by Dave Brown »

I'm sure many people put these in a propagator, but mine germinate where they fall in the garden during summer. Temps around 20C should be sufficient, maybe a bit warmer for speed. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Rabbie »

I have all my Trachycarpus seeds in pots on a window sill, with clingfilm over the top to stop them drying out. My room temps sit at about 18c to 22c depending on the weather and with a little sun up to about 24c. B&Q are doing cheep propagators at moment that sit at the low 20s depending on you room temps icon_thumright
khaskings

Post by khaskings »

For Trachycarpus and other seed including dates we use the plastic food containers like you get chinese takeaway food in. It's like the bag method but allows you to stack them safely near your heat source.

Mike.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

That is the same method I use much of the time. See http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/Seeds/Date_palm.php
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

those food boxes were the main bit of kit for me and my seed exploits.best thing to ever come from a pound shop icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
fgtbell

Post by fgtbell »

In my experience all Trachycarpus except princeps will do better without extra heat. 18-22C is ideal for them.

For princeps, yes, 30C is required to get them moving.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I have a Trachycarpus f seed that has just germinated, and all i did was pot it up and left it on my living room windowsill and it has now shown its first little leaf.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Well i didn't have any luck this time all my seeds went moldy and rotted i think i will have to try and clean the seeds in a anti fungal wash next time.
fgtbell

Post by fgtbell »

If you find one that works please let us know. DEFRA won't let us "amateurs" have anything that actually works. I have corresponded with people on U.S. forums who say "use Captan". Would if I could actually buy it. I have sprayed fungicide on seeds and returned a week later to see fungus growing on the fungicide. :evil:
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

fgtbell wrote: I have sprayed fungicide on seeds and returned a week later to see fungus growing on the fungicide. :evil:
:lol: Sorry, but that just made me laugh.

Okay, not the conventional way, but another method I have used to get germination which on T.f's without any problems and that's to sow in pure perlite and just spray to keep damp, keeping them at room temperature seemed to work fine for me. As for other palms, I'm absolutely rubbish with :roll:

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

They germinate where they land :lol: far too many of them :shock: The best medium seems to be on the gravel drive which is Aggrigate No1 covered with gravel. The gravel keeps the seed moist and stops excessive heat. The No 1 is very free draining. Most seed germinate here in spring and autumn, not in summer. :wink:

Fungus is caused by too much moisture and not enough air. Use a more open mix which is bearly moist. Useing the baggie method allows you to tumble the medium every few days. If it won't tumble it is too compacted or wet.

An effective fugicide is H202 (Hydrogen peroxide). On hard coated seed soak in a 6% solution for a couple of hours. Drenching the sowing medium with the same solution should get rid of fungus or bacteria in the medium, so not re-infecting the seed, but remember to squeeze out any excess moisture first.

If you have to add more water use a weak 0.5 to 1% H2O2 solution as it puts oxygen into the medium. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright