Butia eriospatha and butia capitata seed propagation

Forum rules
This section is for discussion on all methods of plant propagation
Brian

Butia eriospatha and butia capitata seed propagation

Post by Brian »

I have just bought some Butia eriospatha and butia capitata seeds and as i am only just learning about seed germination i was hoping you guys and girls could give me some tips, i have a Bio Green propagator and a heat mat that should go up to 35 degree. can i just soak for 24 hours then pot them up and place on the heat mat?
fgtbell

Re: Butia eriospatha and butia capitata seed propagation

Post by fgtbell »

Brian, I know this reply comes too late for you but it may be useful for someone else:

Yes, these ones need heat, about 35C and in my experience they are still very erratic even with heat. My best success has come from Dave Ison's baggie/moss method for Butias. They are slow though - I suggest you keep the seeds for a minimum of 1 year. They are much more mould resistant than a lot of palm seeds so it is worth hanging on to them for longer.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

too right Francis,im still getting eriospahas popping after15 months in the airing cupboard icon_thumright
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
metalhammer

Post by metalhammer »

Marco in Portugal told me that day/night temperature variations are very important.He also suggested soaking them for a second & third time to get them to germinate,he claims upto 70% germination.

metalhammer.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

funny you should mention that,mine appear to pop another one after watering the bag.
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
fgtbell

Post by fgtbell »

Just had a bunch of eriospatha double-germinations in the last day or so, they were bought November 2008. They sit in a propagator in my attic getting 30+ by day, and whatever at night (never less than about 12C). These ones have popped when the daytime and night-time temps are both high, in fact the day time temperature in there must have been towards 40 about 2 weeks ago, since the attic is less insulated than the rest of the house.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Thanks for the info Francis my seeds are in tupperware boxes with vermiculite and perlite mix the temps range from 25c min (night) and 30c to 35c with the occasional 40c in the day time i haven't had any movement yet but i was aware these can take a while so i wont give up hope yet :wink:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I think the baggie method is best for all large seed, as oxygen is as impostant as moisture for germination. The baggie method allows you to gently tumble the compost every few days ensuring oxygen. If the compost won't tumble it is too compacted/wet :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright