Can i use a vivarium as a propagator?

Forum rules
This section is for discussion on all methods of plant propagation
Andy J

Can i use a vivarium as a propagator?

Post by Andy J »

Now this may be an odd question to ask but can i use an old vivarium as a heater propagator for seeds? Obviously it has a heat source that is electronically controlled very acurately but it is only glazed at the front so i would have to remove the seedlings once they have germinated.Would this set back the seeds? Failing that does anyone have a idea how i could incorporate the ceramic heater and remote thermostat into some other form of fully glazed indoor propagator?

Thanks in advance

Andy J
helen

Re: Can i use a vivarium as a propagator?

Post by helen »

Andy, I'm using a fishtank for some small plants. I've put in a small heat mat (7W) for gentle heat, and a 15W grolux flourescent light in it. I wrapped all sides with silver foil to reflect back the light, and then gave it a polystrene 'wrap' to keep in the heat and reduce running costs.

I put in some very small colocasias, and they seem to like it as they are now putting out new leaves. So the environment is enough to get them to grow.
Be careful, it's a jungle out there!
helen

Post by helen »

Andy, I'm using a fishtank for some small plants. I've put in a small heat mat (7W) for gentle heat, and a 15W grolux flourescent light in it. I wrapped all sides with silver foil to reflect back the light, and then gave it a polystrene 'wrap' to keep in the heat and reduce running costs.

I put in some very small colocasias, and they seem to like it as they are now putting out new leaves. So the environment is enough to get them to grow.
Palmer

Post by Palmer »

This works well for my seedlings-seeds, a 15w grolux fluorescent light, its on a timer left on for 14 of for 10, with a 15w red pigmy light bulb left on all the time, three sides of the tank i have lined with polystyrene tiles raped in tin foil to help reflect heat and light
Attachments
Picture 892.jpg
Andy J

Post by Andy J »

Looks like i may be on to a winner with this then possibly. A big plus is its size,its a 2ft cube and putting the heater on a timer means i could even try stuff like nanas that need a hot/cold cycle to germinate. I think it will also be useful for kick starting stuff like colocasia into life after winter dormancy. The only problem i can see is....where the hell do i put it! :DD
Mark

Post by Mark »

Tony do you have a heater in it or do you just rely on the heat from the bulbs ?

Helen what sort of temps can you get with a 7W heatmat ?
Palmer

Post by Palmer »

just the heat from the bulbs Mark, when there both on its 83f but when its just the pigmy its 75f it does very by one or two degrees but it seems to work.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Thanks Tony. Right I am off to kill my fish and turn their home into a propagator :lol:
Palmer

Post by Palmer »

Mark i don't have banana seeds in there though, only seedings my banana seeds are in a propagator 35-40c with a timer 16 hours on 8 of. car boots are good for old fish tanks please don't kill your fish :lol:
helen

Post by helen »

Mark, I get about 22C. But it is in a very cold lean-to, not inside the house.