Dioon Cycad germination time?

Forum rules
This section is for discussion on all methods of plant propagation
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Dioon Cycad germination time?

Post by Dave Brown »

kata wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: You DB :lol:

But jokes aside. I thought the seedling would come out the groove not side on.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
The shoot emerges from a pore on the opposite side to the groove on Phoenix palms :wink:

That is not a joke, this is my pic of Little Sid, the Southsea Phoenix canariensis_CIDP, just rotated by 90 degrees. This was taken 8th Feb 2007.

For the whole story see

http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... p=103#p103

and

http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/Palms/P ... uthsea.php

Sanatic,

Phoenix palms are remote germinators meaning that the first leaf and subequently the palm grows away from the seed. Yes you are right the little palm will need some nutrients to grow, but it does not need nutrients to germinate and in some cases the nutirents can inhibit germination. This is why I use an inert medium like moss peat in the baggy method or the sealed contaner with kitchen towl. You then only plant up the germinated seed as a fair few may not germinate. Also it takes a month or so before the palm shows anything above ground. In it's natural environment the air above ground can be very hot and dry, so it gets it's first root down a good way before risking it's head above the parapult :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by kata »

No, bh no,

So I dl yours just for my own interest because I was having trouble germinating. OMG Dave,sorry it was before I joined.

Thank god. I think I only posted it here. Normally I get my images from Wiki, I send him cash, usually each month, just a small amount.

Looking at Golf Del Sur and yours, they look about same height. Short trunk just big fronds is what makes it look humungus.I love them to bits. I am going to look again at your directions how to. I still have none thats sprouted. I had two lots of seed. three from the Island itself last year and some from Ebay which sank.

Yesterday I was repotting and noticed last autumn I must have potted one up, it had been there all winter but nothing had happened,out of frustration I have whizzed it in the border to fend for itself :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

At the moment I have one in spagum moss, and another in water.

Did your son do ok at Uni Dave?

Soz about the image!

We, my son and I are talking about the golf holiday and I said look son, your going to have to climb humungus when we get there for new seed...I won't tell ya what he said icon_cheers icon_cheers icon_colors icon_colors
Last edited by kata on Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Dave. Do you think I have done the right thing by putting my potted seeds into my heated prop? I did this so that is gets the heat it needs. Or should I have just left it on my kitchen windowsill like it was before?
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Redsquirrel. I love the pics of the seeds! And you say that im doing well with my seed germination. Your not doing bad yourself mate by the looks of it. :-D
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

they arent mine ,thats mh's.i just loaded the pics for him. i havent got a patch on his knowledge and expertise on these sort of matters. oneday...........
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

2 more
Attachments
Root as it initally emerges from shell,note shell spiltting.This only happens in Cycas species..jpg
An unusual twin germination.jpg
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

last one
Attachments
Cycas sp.,in the process of germination..jpg
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Is MH growing his on perlite? I thought they were yours :lol:
Is this what he has grown this year?
kata

Post by kata »

:ahhh!: What belters!

Well done MH, thanks to RS for loading the images.

icon_cheers icon_cheers icon_cheers champion germinaters.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

sanatic1234 wrote:Is MH growing his on perlite? I thought they were yours :lol:
Is this what he has grown this year?
i wouldnt ask what hes been growing mate,Dave would be looking for more webspace to add that lot :lol: :lol:
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
metalhammer

Post by metalhammer »

That's just for germination,it's a mix of 50/50 perlite & vermiculite.Once they have started to show some leaf,I then pot them up into deep pots using my own mix.

These pics are from about 3 years ago,sadly very few of the them still exist.I had a boiler failure last winter,boiler would burn on pilot light but not ignite,so temperatues dropped to -4c in the greenhouse,resulting in about 80% mortality.Unfortunately I have no plan B in these situations,when the boiler fails,I have a problem.There is a sensor in the boiler which although the boiler is only 10 years old,the sensor is no longer in production.The engineer that came out managed to by-pass the sensor,but said I will need a new boiler,cost around £1000 + fitting.Ain't gonna happen for a while.

metalhammer.
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Di[/quote]
no i didnt Di,and surprise surprise,the bowenia is putting up a new leaf icon_thumleft icon_thumleft going to look twice as good with two soon[/quote]

100 percent growth, what more can you ask. Great news, you must be keeping it happy else it wouldn't have flushed icon_thumright

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
metalhammer

Post by metalhammer »

Bowenia spectablilis wants to be kept warm,humid & shady.This is an understory plant in tropical Queensland.

metalhammer.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

that would explain its survival ,on the landing in a relatively dark corner,not got much in the way of humidity but theres no radiator either.will give it the wet gravel bed later.cheers icon_thumright