Fatsia Japonica

Forum rules
This section is for discussion on all methods of plant propagation
smurnan

Fatsia Japonica

Post by smurnan »

Has anyone ever propagated fatsia japonica from a cutting ?

I'm told you can take root cuttings, air layer, heel cuttings and softwood cuttings but not sure which would be the most reliable way. Any advice welcome.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Fatsia Japonica

Post by Dave Brown »

I've tried hardwood and semi ripe wood stem cuttings for 3 years and failed miserably. :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by smurnan »

Hmmmm,
Thanks for that Dave I know which ones to avoid. Think i might try some heel and root cuttings and see what happens.
musa_monkey

Post by musa_monkey »

They are very easy to grow from seed.
I literally just fill a cup with compost then gently squeeze a few seed pods until the seeds spill onto the soil, cover water and leave in a warm place. They usually sprout within 2-3 weeks.
philip kitts

Post by philip kitts »

I just bought one for. £5 they usually plant a few in a pot and I managed to get 7 out of that one pot .if you plant it as one the lead plant will eventually out compete and kill the others anyway
Rabbie

Post by Rabbie »

I have an old pot grown one, I some times pull out the the new grow at the base of it and plant them up. Not sure if they are seedlings or shoots, most come up with a little root. I pot them in MP compost, they all take.
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

They're easy to obtain from garden centres, but as Musa-monkey say's really easy from seed, providing it's fresh, and the berries are black, have a very high germination rate, which would soon catch-up with any cuttings made [if succesful] from the 'host' plant anyway.

If you want several, why not buy the one plant, then wait until it flowers, and pick the berries the following spring, provided they last that long.
:D
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Nigel... Do they self-pollenate or would I need a male and female to get fertile seed??
musa_monkey

Post by musa_monkey »

GoggleboxUK wrote:Nigel... Do they self-pollenate or would I need a male and female to get fertile seed??
I only had one originally and the seed from that was viable so you shouldnt have any problems.

I just threw them into various containers and ended up with 40+ plants that i gave away to friends and neighbours. They really are remarkably easy to grow from seed.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Thanks!

:DD