old various palm seed

Forum rules
This section is for discussion on all methods of plant propagation
flounder

old various palm seed

Post by flounder »

a couple of years ago, before I built the house extension I used to propagate loads of different shrubs and the like and sell them at car boot sales. All of a sudden I went mad and bought loads and loads of different palms seeds. I sourced these from all around the world, Europe, Australia, south Africa and the America's. I was germinating hundreds a month, potting them up and knocking em out for a quid each. As I said about the extension well it stopped the car boots through lack of time and space. I've just come across a drawer full of various seed including trachys butias phoenix etc etc. This is probably 2-3 years old now. Done a few random float tests, cut a few open and thought still a chance with some of em maybe? Never know till I try! Even if only 1 out of every 100 did germinate that's one more palm than I have now so very shortly will start the baggies. Anyone with success stories with past the sell by dates(no pun there)? I don't want the failures you've had ONLY success. Its a new year so cup half full thread not a cup half empty one icon_thumright
flounder

Re: old various palm seed

Post by flounder »

Just found some more seed, strelitzia reginae and nicolae, I'll give these a go as well I suppose icon_scratch
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I think every species has it's own shelf life so will be difficult to say what success rate you will have. I know Washingtonia and most Phoenix have a good shelf life if kept dry. More tropical jungle species will probably have a much shorter shelf life.

But you can only try icon_thumright Best of luck :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

ive some parajubaea been in for 2 years,3 germinated,theres another 10 year shelf life on the other 5 so plenty of time if they were fresh.just hope they werent 11 when i got them :lol:
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure