Ricinus Seedlings

Forum rules
This section is for discussion on all methods of plant propagation
tropical-pete

Ricinus Seedlings

Post by tropical-pete »

Hi all,
I've recently planted some Ricinus Zanzibariensis seeds, and have had good germinationg (14/15). However, before even their seed leaves emerge, some of them have simply turned to mush. Some of the affected ones have a fungus around them, others don't. The remaining ones look OK but it has been happening overnight. Any ideas what it might be?

Thanks, take care

Pete
Don

Re: Ricinus Seedlings

Post by Don »

Sounds like classic "damping off"-(Google for more info). Sterilising the compost and using cheshunt mixture usually solves the problem.
tropical-pete

Post by tropical-pete »

Cheers Don - I'll water them with Cheshunt this afternoon to see if I can save the remaining seedlings.

Thanks, take care

Pete
tropical-pete

Post by tropical-pete »

Well, despite watering with Cheshunt, they've all gone. None of them even got to the stage of opening their seed leaves :cry: I'm thinking that it may have been erratic watering. I have some 'Crimson Spire' and 'New Zealand Purple' to sow, so I'll sow those, but I won't have them on the heat mat. I'll probably get some more Zanzibariensis seeds as well as I really want to give it a go.

Thanks, take care

Pete
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

I'm having no luck either this year Pete. Of 15 NZP sown, 1 dead, 3 not far off and 1 ok looking, all the other 10 no-shows.

I don't understand it, last year I just popped my seeds into Multi Purpose and put them on a North facing windowsill and I had plants coming out of my ears.

This year I have a large South facing bay, a heat mat and John Innes seed compost (never again, it dries into a hard cake) and I've got trays and trays of no-shows and loads of sickly seedlings. :?

There's a GC near Manchester Airport that sells Ricinus plants in May along with all the bedding so I'm just going to buy a load of them this year.
Don

Post by Don »

Fletch/Pete-I haven't started Ricinus off yet. I was told to treat them like runner beans and just sow them without heat. Forcing them at this time of year without supplementary lighting just produces weedy plants. I will let you know if mine germinate-I guess we all bought them from the same place?
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

we did ours in april and up they popped. feels a bit early for them just yet.
Libby

Post by Libby »

I will start mine off this week and lets see what happens. I was successful last year. So will keep you posted!
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

I have moved mine off the heat mat, I do think it was a bit too hot for them. I would still like to know where the other 10 went! :D

Anyhoo, off to do an hour or twos gardening before Hurricane Betty Sue hits.........
simon

Post by simon »

I have had 5 Zanzibaresis and 8 New Zealand Purple come up. Not a very good germination rate but they all seem healthy if a bit leggy.

I think I started them too early and they had good heat in the prop but insufficient light. They were sown in those compartmental seed trays, so I cut them out and removed them quick as they emerged because I could see they were coming up leggy.

I think more patience is required. It's that urge to get things going that we seem to succumb to :roll: .

Will they grow out of this legginess once they get sufficient light?
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

I experimented a few years back and sown a few seeds in early February. All germinated and they went leggy too. They all outgrew their legginess eventually, after being planted on the ground by late April. We support all our Ricins with a stake.

The ones sown in April soon catched up so wasn't worth it starting them early. From then we sow all of our Ricin seeds indoors in April, no extra heat, and usually have no problems germinating them :)
lucienc

Post by lucienc »

Dam, now you tell me.

I saw some post about people sowing them a few weeks back. So sowed mine last weekend, in an unheated windowsill prop. So far 4 are up, they're just unfurling the leaves today. I hope I have enough light to stop them going leggy.
Don

Post by Don »

Lucien, I think that as long as you haven't forced them with heat they should be fine.
Let them progress slowly and if possible use a cool spot to stop them bolting.
Helen said she was planting them ages ago--wonder how hers are doing?? Where is Helen?
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

I grow a batch of Ricinus Z. each year but never start them until at least April. I find they grow so quickly they soon play catchup.

I wonder if these have been overwatered at some stage and together with low light levels has resulted in failure.

If some of mine decide not to germinate, I throw the compost in with other things I am potting up. You can more or less guarantee these will then germinate - for me anyway - just where you don't want them.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Libby

Post by Libby »

:roll: maybe I might wait?? :D