Protection experiment

Forum rules
This area is for Reference and discussion of plant hardiness, overwintering methods and tips, and planr protection.
HenrikDK

Protection experiment

Post by HenrikDK »

Hi
Anyone knows how much light palms have to have in the winter?

I read that some are putting there palms in dark cellers
and there is not alot of light there i think.

I have an exeriment going with stirofome ( i think its caled in english)
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Protection experiment

Post by Dave Brown »

Hi Henrik,

I have not done it myself, but some of the guys on the North American continent, do this as they have harsher winters... normally :roll: . Maybe we should have done this for December :roll: I think it depends on how long you are going to exclude light, but from what I have heard they rig up a light inside the shelter. This acts as a light source and a small heat input. Also a fan would be useful to keep air circulating.

It will also depend on the palm as some can be wrapped for a long period, while others get rot and fungal attack if airflow is reduced. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by HenrikDK »

Hey Dave

Its a P. Canaries and a W. Robusta

There is no heat exept the sun, and its wery dry, i have taken it of somtimes when the sun is shining and the temp. is over freezing and i think there are still alive but some of the leaves are dead and yellow. And some are still deep green icon_cheers .

I packed them in start December so i think 4 months are a long time. So i thourght i will dig them up, or just keep going, i dont know how more they kan take without light. For we have still temps. below feezing icon_scratch
countrylover

Post by countrylover »

Hi Henrik
Here are links to the stuff you're interested.
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load ... 68084.html
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load ... 28491.html
You may contact the person - Kevin is a really nice bloke and will give you some advice on the subject.
HenrikDK

Post by HenrikDK »

mine is a little more primitive without light but it can be done i can see :D
countrylover

Post by countrylover »

I intend to use a heating tape to keep my palms warm and put an old double glazed window on top of the styrofoam box as a source of light. According to some researches Trachycarpus, Butia, Chamaerops can be overwintered in total darkness but at temperatures about 0C.
Henrik it doesn't matter if its primitive or not as long as it works icon_thumleft
HenrikDK

Post by HenrikDK »

I will try with the glass here next winter.

If those 3 palms can maybe others can to ?

I will try to plant some not so hardiness palms here in the spring and se if i can overwinter them in the stirofoam boxes and se what happens, it is zone 7 here so it might be done :D