Small plastic type greenhouse?

Forum rules
This area is for Reference and discussion of plant hardiness, overwintering methods and tips, and planr protection.
The Codfather

Re: Small plastic type greenhouse?

Post by The Codfather »

Mine will have a platic cover over it to keep it dry.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

I think arlon is the guy to ask. He using a waterproof cover that allowed air circulation. Plastic will just cause it to rot
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Well we will have to see.........I am just following advice\sucssess from mumfies efforts....as I dont know personnally as this will be first winter......yet he has done years of this with great results....

did you see his musa for example !!!!!

and like I have said 4 mins away......
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

no doubt you will get yours through, just going on what others have advised me, but if it works for you, hey stick with it.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

icon_thumleft cheers, I hope so....
AKA - Martin

Scott Radford

Post by Scott Radford »

The trouble I've had with my plastic greenhouses just the kind described above is that they get loads and I mean loads of condensation inside falling from the roof. Such that if you want plants to stay dry they won't.

If you want to look at winter protection there was a good topic on here about overwintering musa basjoo using plastic and straw - it's a great way of doing it and worked even last year with record lows we had then icon_thumright
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Yeh,,,,thats mumfie's.
AKA - Martin

kata

Post by kata »

then I have the 30gsm bags with drswcords too.
I used those for the revoluta coddy in triplicate. They worked a treat. As the snow was melting from the shed roof it fell on the fleece as Icicles :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: -13 outside the fleece..

I have washed them and put them away but will buy new for my Cycads and use the old ones for other plants.

I want a small plastic greenhouse for the flowering cuttings I will be taking for next spring. For Instance I have just last two weeks ago germinated a black Dahlia and black Sunflower for next season.

Just seen two plastic greenhousing for less than what Homebase has for one, and Homebase will charge dlelivery as not available instore.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-4-TIER-MI ... 51947aa614

icon_cheers
Rachelpalm

Post by Rachelpalm »

Hello
what about a small plastic greenhouse with front left open so air can get in but snow will be kept off plants and rain? I mean for palms etc. I will take my bananas indoors over winter as they are in pots. If the front was left open would it still get really wet in there from condensation?

Or it is better to just build a structure up against my fence with a roof where I can stand palms to give them some protection from snow and rain?

Cheers
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

The later will be better... and if you can do it somewhere close to where you can run an extension lead in then you can add a frost fighter and a fan.

On my plastic green house I have the door open more than closed because of the damp....

this year I am building a shelter but in the garage around the window....which I will remove and store after winter.
AKA - Martin