Small plastic type greenhouse?

Forum rules
This area is for Reference and discussion of plant hardiness, overwintering methods and tips, and planr protection.
Rachelpalm

Small plastic type greenhouse?

Post by Rachelpalm »

Hello
I do not have room for a proper greenhouse or Polytunnel . I want something just to stand some pots in over winter to protect from snow and frosts. My banana plants(Musa Basjoo) and my small purple Cordyline and a smallish Trachycarpus fortunei and a few other things, fushias etc and ferns. I was going to cover them in garden fleece or drag them into my diningroom, but is the following a better option?

http://www.ukgreenhousesales.co.uk/Gree ... elving.htm

Or will it not give much protection at all? I was thinking of putting it up October and taking it down about April . What is better, indoors, garden fleece or something like the above?

Thanks
Tom2006

Re: Small plastic type greenhouse?

Post by Tom2006 »

They are good for keeping the winter wet and snow off the plants and I have just bought a large one to use exactly as you are planning. I will heat mine if needed during the coldest periods. They will only keep the temperature a degree or two above the outside temp. I will be bringing my expensive tree ferns inside if we get the horrendous winter predicted. Although everything will be moved back outside during milder spells.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Tomm, I thought you planted your Dicksonia antarctica'in the ground ???
I too have one of those and it will not offer much warmth......I will use my garage and house....if possible then wrap the rest.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
grub

Post by grub »

You won't need it for your Basjoo Rachael, I've posted a 'how to' somewhere I'll do a search and post a link icon_thumright
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Never planting them in.the ground again. There is no 100% way to protect them if not in pots. The polyhouse will be heated if required. icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

I am going to give it a whirl........if it goes Pete Tong and I loose them....then the Mrs will put her foot down to more tropicals.......I will be following Mumfies guide and its worked for him.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Good luck I hope it works for you. Failed for me last winter I lost 5 (well as good as 6 as one although alive still hasnt pushed the fronds up yet) so no way gambling.
Rachelpalm

Post by Rachelpalm »

Hello
just bought this off Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWNX:IT

wrap my larger stuff up in the ground with if needed.
Rachelpalm

Post by Rachelpalm »

Hello
Am I right in thinking it is not just the cold that kills, but plants being wet and then a frost coming along? So would a plastic greenhouse protect plants by simply keeping them dry, so when a frost comes along, they are not damp and the frost will not freeze them( no water to freeze)?

Cheers
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

£40........... :shock:

I bought thi one.... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWNX:IT
AKA - Martin

Rachelpalm

Post by Rachelpalm »

The Codfather wrote:£40........... :shock:

I bought thi one.... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWNX:IT
Hello
yours is 17gsm but I wanted a thicker fleece as I looked at some fleece Sunday which was 17gsm and it was really really thin. I did see the one you bought before buying mine. I bought 30gsm, hence why it was dearer, but I will be able to use less as it is much thicker. Mine was £40 including post, yours was £25, but you may have to use more as it is thinner, so it will not go as far.

Cheers
Last edited by Rachelpalm on Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

its just to hold in the straw etc....then I have the 30gsm bags with drswcords too.
AKA - Martin

Rachelpalm

Post by Rachelpalm »

The Codfather wrote:its just to hold in the straw etc....then I have the 30gsm bags with drswcords too.

I see, sounds good. I have about 20 fleece bags too, love them. I will not bother with straw, just use the fleece I think,

Cheers
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

The problem the no moisture no freeze theory is that the tree ferns growth point contains water in the plant cells. When its very cold the plant literally freezes solid. IF its as cold as last winter then in some locations straw and fleece bags won't protect them. If you can just move the tree fern indoors during the cold night or even during a very cold day do this. The catch 22 is if you let a tree fern get too dry in winter it will die from this.
Rachelpalm

Post by Rachelpalm »

Hello Tom
I could quite easy move my tree fern in my garage or diningroom .

Cheers